Can someone w/ MS OFFICE for MAC help me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Feb 11, 2009.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

I have this program on my current MBP but I have my new MBP coming and I lost my MS OFFICE for MAC (2008) CD. I have the serial number because it shows everytime I open the program on my current MBP. I plan to clear out this MBP and eventually sell it or hand it down to a relative.

Can someone burn me a copy of the CD for my new 17" unibody MBP so I can install it with my current serial number?

Thanks.. I really appreciate it. Let me know..

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Forum Rules:

3. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not asking to violate any license. I have the serial number and personally purchased a copy.. I have the receipt. But I don't have the CD anymore. I do have my own serial number. Thanks.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the Microsoft Software License Terms:
    To even copy the media violates the license, and is not condoned on MacRumors. Your best bet is to contact Microsoft for replacement disks.

5. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Can't you download a trial version of it and use the activation code to activate it? I would try to call MS and see what they can do.

6. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Or download a torrent of the software... and instead of cracking or patching or whatevering it - just activate it with your serial.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Did you buy the MS Office 2008: Mac (Student Edition or Full Edition?). I bought the SE first and they issued three SNs for me to use, and when I received the FE w/Media Expressions 2 that could only be used once...:eek:

8. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought the student edition.

9. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked for a trial version to try this with but I couldn't find it. I'm not quite sure what the number to call is for this particular MS OFFICE 2008 for MAC.

Thanks.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Did you not see the above posts about rules?

12. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

OMG what does it matter how the software is obtained!?!? It's been paid for. If it was amitdoc2b's intention to get a copy illegally he would have done so already. Stop stonewalling solutions cause of slight forum rule infractions.

13. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

You would think this would be true. But, like music from iTunes, if you delete the files I believe they will not let you re-download it even if you have paid for a license to use it (though I don't know that for sure).

Or, if you scratch a CD that you've purchased (when we used to do those silly things) could you get a new one? Did you buy the license to the content, the media that it was delivered on, or both?

They get to say "You are actually paying for the content" or "You are paying for the license to use it" depending on the convenience factor.

In this case, if he's paid for the license (and can prove that he exclusively owns it) they should provide him with the media... good luck with that though.

14. infernohellion macrumors 6502

No offense, but it does look like the OP wants someone else to do a crime for himself. Seriously, this would violate the EULA of any software. The best way is for him to contact Microsoft directly.

15. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Anytime I put a CD or DVD in my machine to install a program, I backup the program with serials in a file on my hard drive and keep it there. That way if the CD disappears or gets damaged I will still have the program.....Of course that doesn't hep you now.

16. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

Microsoft never has and probably never will replace discs that have been lost, scratched, or stolen. You can contact them and try, but i've never heard of this happening.

Like others have said, find a torrent of the file and use your key to register it.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's the part that we are have trouble with! Burning a copy of a CD/DVD is what is illegal and a violation of forum rules...:eek:

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Microsoft is one of those companies who actually don't overcharge and gauge the customer if they lose the disks. You order the disks and all they do is charge you shipping. With Apple you order replacement DVDs for your OS X and the disks look like they were burned on some dude's Dell—what a joke that is.

20. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Just make a note of your serial and copy the app files over to your new machine. Open them and enter the serial.

21. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I've been using PCs since they first came out, yes, I have had occasion to get replacement discs from Microsoft. I've also ordered and received replacement discs for clients over the years. Just because you haven't seen it in your personal experience, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.... all the time!

23. MidwestStuck macrumors member

Just download OpenOffice or use Google Docs for the time being.

24. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

buy it again and practice better backup methods.

If you lost the discs, and didnt back them up, they dont sound like they were that important to begin with :(

I spend 150$ on software, you bet your but that software goes in a "keepMe" box.

25. paulyras macrumors 6502

I would say to just use the migration assistant to transfer everything including your apps from the old computer to the new. Then, office is copied, installed, and probably already registered for all intents and purposes.

No need for the disc at all...