Can someone with a rMB please help me answer a CPU question :)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fuzzball84, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Fuzzball84 macrumors 6502

I'm really interested in finding out what the idle CPU temperature of the laptop is ..

All I see in various discussions is max CPU temps under load... can anyone who uses the rMB for just web browsing and word be super and let me know what their CPU temp is when doing those tasks and then when the system is idle i.e. not actively doing anything and just standing at the desktop...

All my previous laptops have ran 'cool' when running productivity and web browsers i.e. 35-65 *C... even an ivy bridge samsung laptop

The temps of 90*C+ in some discussions under load seem very high for such a small notebook (a passively cooled one at that) and are near the CPU's max thermal design. I wonder if skylake (intels next generation of processors) will address thermal 'issues' like this.

2. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

45 idle

Burst to 72 opening mail and initial check

Back down to mid 50's then 45 again while I type this.

Mid 50's while reviewing and deleting junk mail.

All while sugar sync is downloading files in the background.

(1.2GHz)

3. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I've been using mine non-stop all day. Email, Safari, Excel, RDP, Skype, iTunes, iMessages, Calendar, all open and running and using them all day.

Current temp 45.8 C.

4. newellj, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

newellj macrumors 601

My 1.2 gHz idles pretty consistently at 37*C with Safari open and some browsing going on. It has these little micro-spikes that go up almost instantly to 60*C and then fall back immediately to roughly 37*C.

I don't think the low 90s I reported are an issue, any more than the 82-84*C temps that I sometimes see on my rMBP. Having said that, I avoid maxing out temps on any laptop and wouldn't use either of these laptops to do a Handbrake encode, for example. I have desktops for things like that.

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

And I'm here in sunny Florida 84 ambient with the AC off and the windows open with a breeze. Still 45.

6. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

You guys are great, thanks for all of the replies. fantastic info I couldn't find anywhere else...

----------

I see some of you guys have the 1.2 Ghz version listed, anyone else with 1.1 Ghz version got any CPU temps?

7. newellj macrumors 601

Great minds think alike...I was actually wondering about what the ambient temps were and had glanced at people's locations (which are mostly missing). It's cold and rainy here and the inside temps are in the low 60s F. The heat-sinking to the case of the rMB seems very efficient, so ambient temps might actually be a real factor.

8. Fineance macrumors member

Yes, can you all please list your CPU base clock speed when posting your results?

9. Fuzzball84 thread starter macrumors 6502

For sure... since there is no fan, the macbook will have to rely even more so, compared to a heatsink and fan system, on a good temp gradient between the CPU, the case and the external environment...

People who push the machine hard and leave it on a bed, cushion or any other similar soft insulating surface may push the temps up way high..

10. newellj macrumors 601

Edited my post above (1.2 gHz).

11. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Yep. Want an easy way to test that? Look at the temps you get while browsing while its sitting on a table and then lay down and set it on your chest or stomach and watch the temps increase due to your body temp.

12. matt2053 macrumors 6502a