Can someone with Quicktime Pro help me out real quick?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mekkon, Sep 9, 2008.

1. mekkon macrumors newbie

I've come across a television show online that I'd like to download and watch on my iPod. It is available to watch on the network's website, and if I right-click on the video, I get the greyed-out option of "save as a quicktime movie" which would be available if I anted up and bought Quicktime Pro. Could someone who has quicktime pro pretty please go to the website and test it out for me - see if it actually works to download the video?

Just go to: http://www.tg4.tv/default.aspx?p=channels/DramaArchive

then click on play for any of the episodes. It'll take a minute or two for the video to load and start playing, then right click and choose the fancy QTP download/save as option.

Many thanks! If it works, I'll likely buy Quicktime Pro, as I need to watch this show for a class, and it's a pain dealing with the website streaming. I've just heard too many reports of Quicktime Pro not workins as advertised, so I don't want to drop the $30 until I know it'll work. If you know a better option, feel free to let me know. I've tried one other thing (Snapz or something like that), but the files came out huge...)

(FYI: The show is "Ros Na Run" an Irish language soap-opera...

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Nope, this is a WMV file playing under Flip4Mac, and ebven with QT pro installed you can't download it.

You could use something like IshowU to capture it off the screen, but this is probably illegal..!

3. Toniola macrumors member

I'm a little late seeing this, but you might be able to use Firefox and open the page info>media, and then choose to save it.

4. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Thanks for the heads up. After jumping through a great many hoops, I may have figured it out. I followed your advice, but had no luck saving what I discovered in that page info -> media location. (It displayed a very long address as embeded...)

However, I copied that address, and fired up VLC, then went to File -> Streaming/Exporting Wizard. Entered that address, went through the steps, choose WMV1 as the Video Type, and TS as the output type, and it worked.

It took me MANY tries, and I finally realized that if I let VLC get to the end of the file, it would erase what was being saved. So by pausing and then quitting VLC a few seconds from the end, I have a saved video file. (I'll need some more experimenting to fine tune the process, but it is possible!

5. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

An alternate solution to this would be using Safari and opening the Activity window. Find the URL of the file, Command+C it and Command+V in the Safari downloads window. The file will then download.

6. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

Hmm... I've tried that without any success - although I may well be missing something. I've got the site listed in the first post - give it a go and see if you can find anything in there. All I wind up with is tiny downloads which end in .aspx

7. fgzhu88 macrumors newbie

Nope, sorry :(

I have qt pro, and although the download button isn't grey, the "save as quicktime source" is...

I also tried the window-->activity (alt+apple+a) and the site has secured their video from direct cache downloading (this is how you get youtube videos directly)

But you could screen capture, but that's complicated

8. fgzhu88 macrumors newbie

whoa...sorry, I didn't read your previous post about VLC.

So is there any way to download from ....say...hulu??
    I swear I won't download full episodes (inferior quality), it's just hulu has web exclusive "The Office" clips such as promo commercials that are pretty funny.

9. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

It's even possible to secure video from direct cache downloading?:eek:

10. mekkon thread starter macrumors newbie

Still trying to figure this one out. I now have a PC available as well, so if anyone knows how I can save that video (see 1st post) it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,