Can Spaces do this? Help me please. :)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Fireproof!, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I want to use a very simple setup for spaces.

I want all my "work" (excel docs, word docs, etc that I'm working on) to be in one space (Space 1). And I want OmniFocus to be dedicated to Space 2. And Path Finder dedicated to Space 3.

Now -the problem I'm having is if I go to Space 3 and find a file in PF and double-click to open it, it opens in THAT space. I want it to open in Space 1.

Is there a way to make all undefined apps open in Space 1? Or do I have to go setup all my apps to be assigned to Space 1 so this doesn't happen?

thanks in advance

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I had a similar question and found that there was no way for me to do what you're talking about; having undefined apps open in Space 1 by default. I asked around and no one was able to help me. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Don't think so. Where are you "finding" this file? If in a Finder Window, then drag the window to Space 1 before you open the file.

I wanted to have Finder Windows assigned to a Space. Can't do it. That is, no matter what Space I'm in if I and a new Finder Window, I wanted it to open in Space 1. Nope. It won't. It opens in whatever Space you're in. Same thing happens to your file. It opens in whatever Space the Finder Window is in.

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

You could just add a rule to open Preview (if you're using it to open PDFs etc) in whatever Space you want. Do the same for other applications that are used to open videos etc.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sure, you can have Finder windows open in Space 1. Just set the Finder to Space 1. I've attached a screenshot in which I've done exactly that. If I'm in Space 3 and open a new Finder Window, it takes me to Space 1 and opens the new window.

As to the OP's question, however, no, there's no catch-all setting. You'll have to configure each application.

jW

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Hey, thanks! I guess I didn't notice that last time I tried to add things. Second time I hit the + button, after assigning the Finder, the only thing that came up was System Preferences. I guess everything else it "suggests" was already assigned. But, I thought there were three choices the first time. Oh well.

The very first time I tried it, at least a year ago, I don't remember how I thought I had assigned the Finder. I just remember being frustrated that it didn't do what I wanted. Must've not really assigned it.