Can Spotlight learn?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by VideoBeagle, Nov 6, 2014.

1. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Every few days, I type the word "ledger" into spotlight to quick launch a file for a notebook program called "ledger".

I've been doing this for well over a year or more.

It is the ONLY thing with the letters LED* I type into Spotlight..and certainly the ONLY thing ever with LEDGER...

BUT, spotlight rarely pops the file up as the top hit immediately or even quickly. It'll get stuck on "LEGO games for a while then start focusing on the Dictionary entry, and maybe, after I type the full name and extension..MAYBE it'll show me what I want.

Is there any way to make it learn "Hey, odds are when those letters are entered, I should go with what is always gone with."

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's bringing up LEGO, is it possible you mistyped "ledger" as "legder"? It doesn't make sense that it would get "LEGO" from "ledger".

You might consider re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​

3. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

It just sticks with LEGO for the LE for a while.

I just opened the Ledger file, (the delay prompting me to finally write this post), so I can't do screenshots or document what all it does come up with.

This has lasted thru a complete from blank reimage of the iMac...I haven't even opened the LEGO game for example since then.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would still try re-indexing your drive, even if you've done it before.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Based on my observations Spotlight seems to have a short-term memory for this sort of thing.