Can Sprint make exclusive apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jes182, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Jes182 macrumors newbie

Can a specific iPhone carrier make an app that only works on their network?

iOS is completely devoid of an official NASCAR app due to Sprint having the rights. Now with iPhone on Sprint, they would be fools not to develop apps around the sport. Can they create apps that are inaccessible to Verizon and AT&T customers?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Anyone would be able to download them regardless of network. Sprint could do something like make you enter your account username and password to authenticate before the app works though.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe VZW has apps for their iPhone like VZ Navigator. They're not exclusive to vzw customers insofar as anyone can install them. Whether they work on a different network is anyone's guess. (I have little need to install vz Navigator)

4. danlovaj macrumors regular

Verizon has exclusive rights to NFL now (previously was Sprint). You can download the app on ATT, but it recognizes that you are on ATT and a msg pops up saying only usable on Verizon network, something to that effect.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Hahahahaha, what? Beyond the ridiculousness of NASCAR, carriers can make carrier specific apps, like AT&T's mark the spot, and I'm pretty sure Verizon has a couple as well. They can't be preloaded if that's what you're asking, but they can certainly make one that only works on their network.

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i'm pretty sure companies can make apps that only work on their phones.

we have a Rogers radio app here in Canada and it only works on Rogers/Fido devices.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's what I said. :confused: The catch (if you can call it a catch) is anyone on the app store can download it regardless of the network.

8. thetexan macrumors 6502a

There are APIs to allow third party apps to see what carrier the iOS device is currently on. So yes, Sprint may make exclusive third party apps. I'd be though Sprint would require a username/password combo since a jailbreak could potentially trick the app into being on any carrier.