Can $ still on the rise... Apple prices too.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeKiD, Nov 2, 2007.

1. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

Apple have not changed is mac pro price to fit the canadian currency still. A Mac Pro if bought in the states would cost for us 2,340$CAN instead of 2,499$US. If we buy a MacPro here in Canada we have to pay Apple: 2,986$US

Hope Apple will fix the prices for the update!!!

2. wentwj macrumors regular

are other prices fixed in the apple store?

If they are then yes I would expect to see this corrected, if not then apple must still be in denial about the falling dollar.

3. EngBrian macrumors regular

Prices are still higher on the Canadian store. ie. 20" Imac 1299 (canadian store CAD), 1199 (us store USD). If prices were to current trading the 1199 usd=1120 CAD. So there is a discrepancy of ~$180. some companies are putting it down as a higher cost of doing business in canada. Other people think that we can't expect companies to change prices rapidly. But a few major retailers (ie Walmart are starting to sell at the US price listed on merchandise ie books).

I think we should see a change in the pricing for sure. But it is a demand thing and right now they are selling them at a premium and we are still buying them so there is no incentive to correct this.

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

You can't honestly expect Apple to continuously change their prices as the value of the US dollar rises and falls.

5. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

No... but it is reasonable to expect them to change it after a few months of a sustained, significant change to the exchange rate... they offered the new Leopard at par (Cdn $ = US $). But the new Macbooks are $200 more each in Cdn funds... ridiculous!!!

6. astroboi macrumors member

You think you've got it bad? The standard config Mac Pro is $2499 US, which works out at a little over $2700 AUD.

In the Australian store, it sells for $3999.

7. Bastich macrumors regular

I can, and they have. It just takes businesses a bit longer to lower prices than raise them (e.g.: gasoline).

B)

8. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I have already told apple rep that had phoned me about my order for a mac pro last week. I asked her why the price was so much more for this than it was on the American site. Lots of hums and haws and sympathy about not being able to do anything about it. Needless to say I told her that I was awaiting for the anticipated upgrade and for the prices on the Canadian site to reflect the increase of our dollar.

9. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Yes I do as anytime I bought items from the states before our dollar improved I was always charged more the moment our dollar went down more. It was instantaneous the increase I was charged when the profit was on the American side. I duly expect that the same should apply when the pendulum swings my way

10. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

It's not like if it's been a roller coaster for months.... The Canadian dollar increase has been linear for several months... not only that... I'm not expecting Apple to change their prices over the US dollar... but over the strenght of my sweet Canadian monster looney!

11. Gloor macrumors 6502a

I hope you are kidding here. In UK its £1699 which is around $3400. Get over it. It's never going to change as every market is different and Apple is not going to put the same price all around the world. Btw. everything related to computers is way cheaper in USA than here in Europe.

12. LeKiD thread starter macrumors regular

LeKiD

Poor Brits! You're living too far! Transport prices, wage differences, import taxes and so on... are many reasons why it's more expensive... and if you take off your 17.5% tax... you should get a little bit closer to reality.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Those factors play a part. More importantly though, the £ is worth more than $2.

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the current average euro-customers (with austrian prices/vat subtracted) are paying more is 17.82% or 297,19 dollars
    (for all 13 mac base models not counting screens servers and gadgets .. i'm gonan add that later)

i just dig out my old excel file from 2005 when apple also refused to adjust at least a little bit

currently the worst deal in percentage is the mac pro with 22,1% higher price (for the base model) which ironically was the best deal in 2004/2005

now the best deal is the macbook pro base model with only 15,07% increase

edit: and yeah to repeat myself again before people jump at my neck: this is without VAT

edit2: insert screenshot

Attached Files:

15. Surely Guest

Surely

I feel for you, my Commonwealth brotha, but you must understand that if you live in Toronto Ontario, Buffalo New York, is a 90 minute drive from you. We don't have to take a 7 hour flight to get to the US like you do.
    Think of it like this: you could drive door-to-door from an Apple Store in Canada to an Apple Store in the U.S. in 90 minutes.
    When the lower prices are so close geographically, it doesn't make sense to us that the prices are so much higher here. It just pisses us off. As I type this, $1 CAD is equal to almost $1.08 USD, so in theory, Canadian prices should be lower. Now, we all know that that won't happen, but they should be a lot closer than they are.

Changing the subject, I was offered a $60 discount on any MacBook Purchase thought 1-800-My-Apple from a rep. I politely complained about the Canadian prices, and he offered it to me. Even with the discount, I'm still going to drive to the US to pick up a MB, because it's still cheaper there.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Dear Non-US Apple Customers,

I'm a sincerely sorry to hear that you live in countries with higher prices than the US, which you are now noticing because your currencies are gaining strength against the US dollar. Unfortunately, you earn and spend the currencies of your home countries, not US dollars. Even more to the point, Apple doesn't set the prices for goods in your markets. Those prices are set in the country where you live. Apple has no control over prices in these markets. Perhaps when the prices for others goods and services imported into and manufactured in your country begin to decline, Apple will lower our prices to compete. Until then, if you want to experience the full power of your valuable native currencies, please feel free to book a flight to the United States, where you will find the entire country to be on sale.

Fondest Regards,

Steve

17. Surely Guest

Surely

Dear IJ Reilly/Steve,

When you actually know what you are talking about, post that. Don't talk out of your butt just to flame/troll.

-Apple very much has control over their pricing, and does, in fact, set the prices on their own goods in every country. Don't kid yourself. Who do you think sets the price? Do you think foreign governments call Apple up and say: "Hey guy, we've thought about it, and we think that even though our dollar is worth more, and import fees/duties don't add up to $200, you should still charge $200 more for your product here than in the U.S. That will keep our citizens happy! Hurray!"
    The pricing, for example, in Canada, is based on the old steady exchange rate when our dollar was only worth around 70ish cents of an American dollar.
    -Many other major retailers in Canada have already dropped their prices to reflect parity or are offering major discounts. So if they can do it, so can Apple.
    -Our dollar is not only gaining strength against yours, your dollar is weakening against everyone else's currencies. Your economy is in trouble. You should thank your brilliant President for that.:D Maybe you guys should borrow some more money from China?

More fonder regards than yours,
    L

P.S. No one forced you to read a thread on Canadian pricing. Let us have a forum to vent our frustrations. Your arrogance has no place here.
    Thank you, drive thru.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now there's a pleasant response.

If fact prices for goods are set in the market where the goods are sold, not in the markets where they are manufactured. Apple (and every other company) sets their prices in every market as that market demands. This has far less to do with currency exchange rates than many people assume, including yourself apparently. If Apple has to lower their prices to compete in the Canadian markets, they will -- but not a moment before. And they won't do it just because some Canadians look at US prices for their products get the false impression that US prices have gone down, when obviously they have not. If you want to enjoy the full value of your appreciated currencies, you have to travel. This has always been the case.

19. Surely Guest

Surely

I thought it was kind of pleasant.;) I'd say it was at least as pleasant as your original comment.:)

We don't think that US prices have gone down, what makes you think that? If anything, if you look at it from a US Dollar point of view, Canadian prices have gone up. An American tourist that comes to Canada now has to spend more money to get the same hotel, restaurant, etc than they did 6 months ago. It used to be Americans coming to Canada to go shopping, but now it is the opposite. Our dollar has risen- our dollar is worth more than it used to be (see Alberta Oil Sands and US economy issues). I have no doubt that Apple will lower their prices in the Canadian market at some point. Probably just after Christmas, so that they can enjoy that extra profit margin during the busy shopping season. I understand that they will do it when they feel like it- my point is that they should be doing it now, rather than later. Apple thrives because of brand loyalty, they should show their appreciation for that loyalty to their Canadian customers.

I understand that prices are set in the market where they are sold, not the market where they are manufactured (By the way, Apple products aren't manufactured in the US, so I'm not quite sure what you were trying to say there). The prices in Canada were set 1-2 years ago when our dollar was weak. The pricing has just followed the pattern that Apple had set back then when our dollar was worth 2/3 a US dollar. Our strong dollar, and the market, dictates that the prices should be adjusted to reflect parity.

It's very frustrating that I can drive 90 minutes door-to-door from the Apple Store in Toronto, Canada, to the Apple Store in Buffalo, NY, and spend very different amounts on the exact same product.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I was being a little facetious, but it wasn't directed towards anyone in particular, and this does not compare even remotely to accusing someone of "talking out of their butt," flaming and trolling. So no, sorry -- that does not work for me at all. Not even a little. I think you'll find that it doesn't work for the posting rules on this forum, either.

Apple won't lower prices "when they feel like it." If this is what you believe, then I think you're missing the basic point here. Apple will lower prices in other countries when competitive pressures demand it. What's more, the prices in Canada haven't gone up. Some of them have gone down, and some of them have (so far) remained the same.

About once a week a thread is started here by someone outside of the US playing calculator games with currency exchange rates and Apple prices. The point is always that US prices are suddenly much lower than wherever it is they live, when in reality they haven't changed in the US at all and probably haven't changed at all where they live.

In any event, you've answered your own question. If you want to enjoy the full value of an appreciated currency, then you have to travel. Americans know this from experiencing a strong US dollar. When the US dollar was highly valued, overseas bargains did not suddenly start appearing on our shelves here. Prices on imported goods were not automatically lowered. If we wanted bargains, we had to go and get them. So by all means, go and get them.

21. Surely Guest

Surely

Um, I don't think that anything I said was against any posting rules. I did not call you an "idiot" (see Forum rules for quote). I did not attack you or insult you personally. I did not post something with the sole purpose of trolling (although your original post is pretty trollerific). I did not use profanity. Maybe you need to relax guy.

I think that you are missing the basic point.

About once a week a thread is started here by someone outside of the US playing calculator games with currency exchange rates and Apple prices.
    If you don't like threads that deal with this topic, don't read them. Scroll over the thread. We won't mind. We do not play these "calculator games" just to annoy you.

As I said before, we are frustrated with the unfair pricing. And it is unfair pricing. Leopard costs $129 USD in the US, and, guess what: $129 CAD in Canada too.
    So they can fairly price that, but not other items? I know that you don't feel that this is unfair. Maybe if you lived in Canada, and heard all of the BS coming form retailers about why they have to keep their prices high (real reason #1: the upcoming Christmas shopping season so they can make higher profits), you would think different (hehe).

Apple will lower prices when they feel like it. They proved that with the Leopard pricing. Competitive pressures do have something to do with their decision, but, again, if they want to maintain their customer loyalty and the image of a forward-thinking company in Canada, then they should act prior to these competitive pressures. Eventually, people are going to become disgusted with high profit taking. We already are, and the exodus to the US to shop is proof of that.

22. Dartamis macrumors newbie

I hear ya!

I'm waiting for the new revision of the macpro then I'm driving over to Buffalo myself. If you leave at 6am on a Saturday and hit the Rainbow bridge you can get there in just over an hour (of course they don't open till 10 am but I'll get some breakfast). So $40 of gas to save a few hundred $ is a good deal to me. At 6 am there is no line at the Rainbow bridge. I'll be in and out and at home before lunch time.

23. Surely Guest

Surely

That works. Waking up at 6 am kind of sucks though, but it's worth it to save the $$$. The only problem is the long wait on the way home.

Or.... you can go during the week to avoid the weekend craziness.;)

24. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Surely, I think a very important fact that you're overlooking that IJ Reilly was trying to make is that the changes in the US dollar don't make Apple's goods cost more or less for anyone in Canada, the UK, Australia, etc.

You're paying the same as you were yesterday, the week before and the month before.

Just because your currency is worth more against the dollar than it was a month ago, it doesn't mean it's worth more than a unit of Canadian currency was worth in Canada a month ago. By your logic, the Canadian dollar suddenly has greater buying power, so why not complain about the price of *everything*? If you think a MacPro should cost less today than it did in October, then why not milk or sneakers or newspapers?

Yes, you're right that prices will trend lower with newly released products (as you pointed out with Leopard), but it's far from automatic and not as simple as Apple sitting on sidelines with its finger on a switch waiting to lower prices after the holidays so it can milk its Canadian customers for all it can...

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Thanks, I did think this was kind of obvious. These are manufactured consumer products not commodities. Nobody has their hand on the bid red dial that sets the prices arbitrarily or on command. Another point I've made in the many previous discussions we've had about this subject is that manufacturers in the countries with strong currencies will be put under increasing pricing pressures by importers, which squeezes domestic profits and wages, and if the country's currencies gain too much too quickly, then deflation can set in. Both of these results are really bad news for a national economy. Be careful what you wish for, is the message.