can stolen iphone 4 be tracked if?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mkekill, Apr 20, 2012.

1. mkekill, Apr 20, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012

mkekill macrumors newbie

My friend got robbed today for his iphone at knifepoint. I tried to help him find it using the find my iphone app, a problem we are encountering is that instead making his own itunes to sync the phone. he used his other buddies itunes acct.that account keeps showing him the location of his friends ipod. does anyone know there a way to differentiate the device that your looking for via imei or the serial number for that particular device? any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If his device is not listed there then he probably didnt install the find my iphone feature to his phone before it was stolen.
    You cant search with IMEI or anything like that. If its not there its not there and cannot go back in time and add his phone to his buddies itunes account.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're out of luck. It should have been pretty obvious that he should have synced his iPhone with his iTunes account.

4. mkekill thread starter macrumors newbie

i figured as much. but thanks for the input anyhow i told him that he should have synced with his own itunes. live and learn

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

If not already done your next move should be to ask your network to block the iPhone and the police to report the crime.

6. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

That’s really an unfortunate situation. Okay, If the phone doesn't have a passcode lock set on it, then all the thief has to do is turn off "Find my iPhone" and the phone is no longer trackable.Or, if the thief has access to a computer with iTunes installed, he can completely restore the phone back to factory defaults, wiping all your information and the ability to track the phone.
    Nothing can stop a determined or tech-savvy thief..!

7. mastsethi macrumors member

You can trace it using IMEI but you might need cyber cell to help. Thieves usually dont use the stolen phones for a month or so. So, tracing the phone is very difficult and tedious.