can subtitle be done with FCE or do i need DVD pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bozigle, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bozigle macrumors regular

2. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

yes it's possible in FCE to do that, but only if you want the subtitles permanently burnt in!

3. bozigle thread starter macrumors regular

exactly...
    well this is not really subtitle in the dvd sense... it is more like modifying the movie.
    Idvd is not doing it (or is it???? couldnt find anything about that) and there is no way to get dvd studio pro outside of the package FCS... that makes 1k difference... damn it

4. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

You can use a subtitling program like Belle Nuit Subtitler which will allow you to make and later import the subtitles to a variety of programs. It's still an expensive piece of software. Maybe you'll find a cheaper similar program.
    If you have access to a Windows system, the Subtitle Workshop is good and free.

On a side note, DSP subtitling feature is tediously limited.

Edited: there is a way, search in google, to make the subtitles in FCP, then to export the XML of the subtitle video track, convert it to some other format with TitleExchange http://www.spherico.de/filmtools/TitleExchange/ and import in DSP.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I think the original poster is asking if it is possible to do DVD subtitles without DVD Studio Pro - using iDVD I presume. As far as I know, there is no way to do this with iDVD no matter what editing software you are using.

Is it possible to do it with Toast? That would be a cheap solution to the problem if it can.

P-Worm

6. bozigle thread starter macrumors regular

yop exactly...
    using idvd or toast or something else (encore cs3???) so i would avoid to cash right away for the studio just to get dvd subtitles. Other than that, FCE would be just fine for what i want to do.

7. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Is there a post house somewhere near you that will do the subtitle DVD conversion for a cheap price if you provide the video and the text? They may even rent out their studio so you can do the work yourself for an even smaller price.

In the long run, it's probably much cheaper to just go with Final Cut Studio, but if this is more or less a one shot deal, I would look into that as an option.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more assistance, I have Final Cut Studio, so I haven't had the need to find a work around for iDVD's shortcomings.

P-Worm