Can SwissDisk Be Used To Keep Pages Documents in Sync Between iPad & MBP?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Oct 13, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

SO i'm messing with Pages on my iPad, and see the porting option in Pages (& Numbers) for WebDav.

I'm wondering how this works and if a service like SwissDisk could somehow keep my files updates at all (or most) times.

See, I have numerous spreadsheets that get updated everyday..with the spreadsheets I only open and edit in Numbers on my MBP...but i'd love to sync them up whenever i'd like to with my iPad. This would give me only more reason to never have to use my MBP...lol.

2. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Just tested this out myself. I can grab files uploaded to my swissdisk...but nothing close to keeping them in sync with each other...this is due to a limitation with Pages on both the MBP & iPad.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Why not use Dropbox or one of the other services that specialize in just this sort of thing? Most of them give you a couple gigs for free.

4. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I thought there were limatation with the dropbox ipad app? As in not being able to drop stuff into the dropbox app..only able to grab stuff..?

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Yeah, the native DropBox app has limited upload capability, but you can use a manager like Goodreader to download the file, make changes, then upload the new file back to DropBox. I guess that isn't exactly automatic though. I'm not aware of any solution that will automatically keep your files in sync like that FROM the iPad, because you generally have to copy the file out of the sync program to edit it - you can't work directly with the file the way you can on a stand-alone computer. Perhaps an all-in-one program like Documents to Go would do this?

I'm not sure that anything I'm suggesting is any better than what you've found from within iWork. It sounds like they give you the option to upload or download items from a WebDAV server, but no way to automatically sync. Let us know if you come up with something.

6. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Will do. Thanks for the guidance.

I downloaded the drop box app and guess it'll do when it comes to wrapping up and essay on my Mac and wanting it for down the road on the iPad.

I already have good reader and seems like a viable solution for the time being.

again, thank you.