Can swollen iPod touch explode?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by slb6r, Oct 26, 2009.

1. slb6r macrumors newbie

I have a first generation 16 GB iPod touch from late 2007. When charging it last week I noticed after about half an hour that the touch is swollen on top and bottom and bulging about 2 mm on top, so that the glass is pushed out in the middle. The round button at the bottom of the iPod is wedged in and does not work anymore.

Can the iPod explode if I continue charging/using it connected to my computer?

Does anybody else had that problem with early models?

I went to an Apple store, but they could not advise me to use or not use the iPod. I should make an appointment with a "Genius", however, they told me that they don't repair iPods. So, how much use would that be? It does not properly work and they won't repair it, nor would they tell me if I can use it.

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

You should complain and they probably will replace it since it does constitute a potential fire problem.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

When you go into the Apple Store the genius will immediately replace it when he sees it.

4. slb6r thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what happened. The Genius exchanged my touch without discussion. Thanks a bunch to Apple.

5. GeekAtBirth macrumors member

GeekAtBirth

With what Generation did he/she replace it with?

6. Xavier macrumors 68020

I have the same generation iPod Touch and same size. I hope this doesn't happen to mine.

But I am also curious, with what generation iPod Touch was it replaced with?

7. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I think they would give him another First Gen, but if not, then a Second Gen. I don't think that they would just replace if with a Third Gen if you know what I mean.

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Did the store replaced it with a 1st, or 2nd generation?:confused:

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

10. slb6r thread starter macrumors newbie

The Genius replaced it with exactly the same 1st generation 16 GB model. Seemed unused, but could also have been refurbished.

11. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

My God!

Actually swollen, like physically bigger swollen! I assumed you meant some kind of 'has more memory than when I bought it' swollen. That is so scary! :eek:

12. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

Not sure but I feel like a swollen ipod already has exploded inside the case.

13. JAT macrumors 603

Common result of the death of a lithium battery. Luckily for all of us they don't die all that often, just stop.

14. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure it is refurbished. They just replace the battery and casing to it looks new.

15. dynamo22 macrumors member

so let me get this straight, the OP was out of warranty and showed this to a Genius and you got a refurb ipod touch 1st gen?

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Swollen exploding batteries make for good news stories. I'd expect it to be replaced. Especially an item that was "new-ish".

Battery recalls are big things.... i'm sure it went to Apple to see what is up and why it might have done it.

17. slb6r thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, the touch was out of it's original warranty (bought in Fall 2007) and I do not purchase Apple Care packages, except for work.
    I agree with TraceyS. This may also be hinting at a more general problem with the batteries, which is just starting to creep up in the early iPod's.
    I think it is the right think for Apple to do. Techhie in an early reply predicted this outcome.

18. stab244 macrumors member

The safest thing to do would be to not touch it or charge it. Who knows how bad things could get.

19. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Seems pretty dangerous. Thank goodness you got it repaired.