Can the '09 Mac Pro take 6GB and 8GB Ram Modules safely?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dazloe, Apr 1, 2009.

1. dazloe macrumors member

Hey there ladies and gents, like many of you I am still deciding on a new mac pro. Thinking of going for the octo 2.93 for the raw processing power and the psychological benefits :) Anyway I was down at my local apple store checking RAM prices for the new mac pro and I wondering whether or not the '09 Octo-core mac pro can take 6GB or 8GB RAM Modules? (if it matters the RAM is Kingston).

I was thinking of Installing it in 3's (six chips all up) I'm considering getting 6 X 6GB Kingston Ram chips in a 2.93 Octo-core system (Yes I need a lot of power and I don't want to buy another computer after this for another 5-6 years (hopefully))

Any feedback would be great, it seems plausible, but I just want to make sure that it will still be able to use all of the RAM. Thanks a lot :)

2. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

I'm taking from the lack of replies that nobody has tried it yet? :) Theoretically would it work? I'm guessing that if the 4's and 2's work it wouldn't be much different from the 6's and 8's? (of course I'm open to being completely wrong).

I'm just thinking of getting a really good machine that will keep me company for the next 5 years, wouldn't buy for another six months to see what the prices do, but I'll go from there :) Thanks for any replies.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought most of the 6GB Kingston RAM was 3x2GB kits when you drilled down to look at them.

4. dazloe thread starter macrumors member

...and suddenly everything starts to make sense. I rang the apple store and the forgot to mention they are 8gb and 6gb KITS rather than MODULES, which was their original description. Thanks for the reply, that really cleared thing up!

Daz.