Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
So I just had an odd thought...is it possible to "dock" the iPad Pro 11" onto a Magic Keyboard/case designed for the iPad Pro 12.9"?

This probably sounds like a crazy idea to most of you, but it's intriguing to me. I could see some value in having the more spacious keyboard and larger trackpad that the 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case has to offer. I'm assuming that the special 3-dot "Smart Connector" (whatever the word for that is) is the same size on both iPad Pro models. If not, then I guess that would answer the question quickly.

I realize that the back camera wouldn't line up properly with the case's cutout, but how many of us would have a need to use that camera when docked anyway? However, because the camera has a slight bulge, it will prevent the iPad from laying perfectly flat (and totally locking-in with the magnets) against the case flap. But depending on how much that bulge extends, perhaps that wouldn't be too problematic.

I'm thinking that the biggest issue (and it might be a big one) might be lining up the 3-dot Smart Connector just right.

One way to possibly deal with both of those issues would be to take an X-Acto knife to the case and cut out a 2nd camera square.

Hmm...looking at where the magnets are aligned in the case, we may need to add/move some magnets, too.

MagicKeyboard_X_watermarked-scaled.jpg

Note: That X-Ray is of the 11" Magic Keyboard/case, as taken from this iFixit article:

If any of you happens to own both an 11" iPad Pro and a 12.9" iPad Pro and a 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case, can you give this a try and report back with whether this even works at all?

Last edited:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I would agree that the answer is no. Even if you get the Smart Connector to connect properly, a ton of the magnets that hold the iPad in place are going to be in the wrong position for an 11" iPad Pro. The likely result: The iPad Pro will detach from the Magic Keyboard.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
As I'm looking at that X-Ray image, I'm also remembering that all of Apple's covers also "smartly" turn on/off the iPad automatically, which I'm guessing is tied directly to the placement of certain magnets (perhaps the ones in the lowest right and left positions - near the palm rests), so that functionality would probably no longer work properly, but perhaps that's not a deal-killer.

The big question, though, is whether there's any other sort of "magic" going on such that the 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case simply won't work *at all* with an 11" iPad Pro. IOW, has Apple done anything special such that the 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case detects that it's connected to a iPad Pro 12.9" and *wouldn't* think that it was connected to an iPad at all even if you lined up the 3-dot Smart Connector perfectly?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
So I just had an odd thought...is it possible to "dock" the iPad Pro 11" onto a Magic Keyboard/case designed for the iPad Pro 12.9"?

This probably sounds like a crazy idea to most of you, but it's intriguing to me. I could see some value in having the more spacious keyboard and larger trackpad that the 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case has to offer. I'm assuming that the special 3-dot "Smart Connector" (whatever the word for that is) is the same size on both iPad Pro models. If not, then I guess that would answer the question quickly.

I realize that the back camera wouldn't line up properly with the case's cutout, but how many of us would have a need to use that camera when docked anyway? However, because the camera has a slight bulge, it will prevent the iPad from laying perfectly flat (and totally locking-in with the magnets) against the case flap. But depending on how much that bulge extends, perhaps that wouldn't be too problematic.

I'm thinking that the biggest issue (and it might be a big one) might be lining up the 3-dot Smart Connector just right.

One way to possibly deal with both of those issues would be to take an X-Acto knife to the case and cut out a 2nd camera square.

Hmm...looking at where the magnets are aligned in the case, we may need to add/move some magnets, too.

View attachment 914185

Note: That X-Ray is of the 11" Magic Keyboard/case, as taken from this iFixit article:

If any of you happens to own both an 11" iPad Pro and a 12.9" iPad Pro and a 12.9" Magic Keyboard/case, can you give this a try and report back with whether this even works at all?
Definitely not. I'm quite skeptical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.