Can the 13" MBA handle Full HD video?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by solsearchin, Dec 26, 2013.

1. solsearchin macrumors member

Without stuttering ? The 1.3 ghz CPU has me worried since it is a ultra mobile chip, can anyone confirm if it can handle say Netflix Super HD or 1080P video playbook without stuttering or frame drops? What about mirroring the HD content to a tv?

Thanks guys!

I'm looking at the base air 13" , 1.3Ghz, 4GB RAM.

My other option is going with a rMBP 13" but I've heard lots of horror stories from my co workers.

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Streamed tons of HD off my 2012 13" rMBP over the HDMI port to my TV. Worked perfectly, not a whole lot of CPU usage either.

3. TheEnthusiast macrumors regular

Don't let the base CPU speed fool you; the CPU has turbo boost up to 2.6 GHz, which gives extra performance when needed. Also, the streaming full HD video does not constantly require 100%, 50%, or even 20% of CPU power. Same goes for mirroring. The machine is very capable.

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I've played and encoded full HD video on my MBA 2013, and it works fine.

5. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Another quick question, when I'm mirroring the macbook, the macbook being 1440 x 900 and my TV being 1080P does the macbook display up convert to 1080P? Does it look decent ( if anyone has tried ) ?

6. mattkidd macrumors regular

mattkidd

Absolutely, if an iPhone can the MacBook Air definitely can :)

I have successfully rendered and encoded 4k video on a MacBook Air :cool:

7. harrisonw1998 macrumors regular

If you mirror and you want it at 1080p for the TV then the MacBook Air will have a letterbox and won't look quite as sharp but it is certainly usable. I wouldn't keep it like that while you're working but its ok for setting up something to stream.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If it stutters, is not the Air, most likely your WIFI setup or Internet bandwidth.

9. solsearchin thread starter macrumors member

Anyway around this letter boxing? What if I use my tv as the monitor, would it output at 1080p? Thanks for the help guys. Just to add, I have a 40/2 connection, it is solid and reliable.