Can the 15 inch Macbook Pro handle this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mansali, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mansali macrumors member

I bought the 15 inch 2.3 ghz model with 500 gb storage, 16 gb ram and nvidia 750m dGPU.

I will be using the laptop mostly for surfign the webs and watching movies/youtube videos.

I may play games once in a while like mine craft or age of empire and may also download windows via bootcamp. But I won't do this most of the time if not ever.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any Mac model made in the last 5 years or more can easily handle those tasks.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

Thats like saying "I just got a new BMW M6. Will it be good enough for passing other cars on the highway when changing lanes and doing some occasional windey roads.

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

laughed out loud

5. PeterKG macrumors 6502

IMO, if you are still within your return period, you should exchange it for the base model, and save a good amount of money. You don't need such a powerful computer. The base model will suit you greatly.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

An iPad has enough computing power for your needs if that is really all you do on a computer.

Since we're on the theme of car analogies: You basically bought a Ferrari only to take it around the block, when a Civic would've done the very same job for less.

7. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Kelly, can you handle this?
    Michelle, can you handle this?
    Beyoncé, can you handle this?
    MacBook Pro, Can you handle this?
    I don't think they can handle this!

8. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

9. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

10. pendragon1984 macrumors 6502

I think you should book time on the new titan super computer. That's about the only computer that'll be able to handle your needs. ;)

11. iKrivetko macrumors 6502a

12. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

the 12 core because if you get the 8 core you might bottleneck the gpu

13. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Return that system if you can and purchase a used/refurbished 2012-early 2013 model and save yourself $1000 or more.

As a side note, you don't "download Windows via Boot Camp." It's an entirely separate operating system for which you need to purchase a license. Boot Camp is merely the conduit that allows you to install Windows.

14. Mansali thread starter macrumors member

I don't have the 1tb flash drive...which does bother me because I heard it had better writing speeds. I don't want buyers remorse. :mad:

And to the people saying an iPad will match my needs they need to realize I already have an iPad.

I use this laptop as my main computer. I got it a month ago so I cannot return it anymore. Usually I am hardly using any ram (usually 4 gb of ram is used). This means my computer will last very very long.

A mac pro has been my dream but its too expensive but I know one day I will get a max mac pro with everything on the max spec wise.

I am also gonna use this laptop for programming languages like python, java, c++ etc

----------

So which is the better windows to install the windows 8.1 or windows 8.1 pro? They do cost a lot :(

15. richard371 macrumors 68000

You do have a great machine that will last you a few years. The new PCI SSD drives in these new macs from the low end rMBP 13 with a 256 to the Mac Pro 1TB are so fast the difference won’t matter that much. We are talking 750 vs 850 vs 950 accruing to xbench I just clocked the HD 7200rpm on my 1.5 year old iMac at about 60 lol.

As far as RAM, I feel 8 is average these day and if you want to do anything serious like running VMs you will need 16. Computers and even phones are all about multitasking so the more cores and ram the better.

Last month I thought the rMBP 13 with 8/256 would suit me fine with VMware fusion 6 and a VM or 2. Now on the same machine as you have I’m running a server 2008 r2 as my DC, another 2008 R2 server with Exchange 2010, and 2 win 7 clients all while playing plane 10. The Exchange server alone uses about 4GB. These are all for learning and not running on a corporate network. The VMs also take up SSD space so if I had a 256 I would have to delete some VMs to make room for others.

16. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

17. Mansali thread starter macrumors member

I also realized that my internet is is only 802.11 n. I was thinking of buying the airport extreme or the time capsule. I am unsure which one to get. I heard 802.11 ac will greatly enhance my experience.

18. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

Excellent post sir.

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

Most ISP do not provide you with internet fast enough to saturate 802.11N's bandwidth. Even if you upgrade to the newest AC standard, you will not get any faster internet, be it download speed or page loading. The only thing you'll increase the speed of, is file transfers between computers on the same network, provided both can actually connect at AC speeds.

Honestly, don't bother worrying about buyer's remorse, you've already bought a computer that is stupidly overpowered for your needs. You would not notice ANY difference by getting the higher write speeds of the 1TB SSD... Actually I'm lying, one big difference would be the money left in your pocket.

20. twingo macrumors regular

I have read that the new Mac Pro is excellent for surfing the web.
    Get the maxed out one and a 4k-display and you are safe.

21. Mansali thread starter macrumors member

Please don't insult me....you really think I would just settle with one 4k-display...please!!!

22. NikkiJayne macrumors regular

NikkiJayne

This thread has amused me greatly, thank you sir.

23. Why?????? macrumors member

Such expensive

24. zI INFINITY Iz macrumors regular

So agree. Such waste.
    Much sad
    Wow