Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lowbuzz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Hi - I was checking on Amazon, and it seems there have been problems with certain laptops being unable to power portable drives like the WD passport. Does the 2007 MBP provide enough power via the USB port to power these portable drives or no?

I plan on buying the $1544 MBP (last year's model, as the latest revision isn't revolutionary) - and was wanting to get an external drive for backup.

I know that the Lacie Quadra would be better, given the FW800 connection - but I got 2 of them from Amazon and they both made horrible scraping noises. So I'm no longer keen on Lacie. I wish Quantum would make a comeback :)

Plus I wanna stick to like 120GB - as I don't trust hard drives and like to keep DVD backups. And I'd hate to have a 500/750GB drive go belly-up on me - warranty or no, my data would be lost.

gregk205

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
New York
Yes it has no problem with it. I use one with my Macbook and have had no problems. And my friend uses one with his MBP... So don't worry.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.