Can the 24" ACD be connected to a mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PsyD4Me, Mar 24, 2009.

1. PsyD4Me macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

I've read that the dvi connector that comes with the new monitor is so short that it's ideally designed for laptops placed right next to the monitor. My Mac Pro is on the floor and i need about 2-3 feet of cord.
    What are my options?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It doesn't come with a DVI connector. If you would look at the new Mac Pro, you'd see that it is, indeed, compatible with the LED Cinema Display.

This is off the top of my head... I could easily have the numbers wrong... 46 inches?

Oh, an OLDER Mac Pro.

You need to buy the Radeon 4870 for that.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

To the best of my knowledge, there is no adapter available to connect the LED Cinema Screen to a DVI port that would be on an older MacPro. However, the new MacPros come with Mini-Display ports on them, and the cable appears to be close to 3 ft long, although you could always ask.

TEG

4. PsyD4Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

I need about 32 inches, i guess i'll wait it out and stick with my 23" ACD

5. PsyD4Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

PsyD4Me

wow, i guess i'm screwed and it's a good thing i didn't rush out and buy one simply assuming that apple would have some sort of a solution in the store.

6. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

does anyone else hate Apple for not including a DVI port on the new ACD or at least not making some kind of adapter available immediately? I understand that they want to make the MDP the new standard, but it's a little too early (not to mention forceful, manipulative and tacky) to make it the only input source on their latest and greatest display.

I love Apple, but their antics/tactics are wearing me thin...

I needed a new monitor quickly and would have ultimately purchased the new ACD, but I'm not willing to wait (5-7wks) & buy an entirely new (expensive) video card just to make it a reality. I ended up going with a discounted and refurbished 30" ACD off of Apple's site

/end-rant

sorry to de-rail.

7. SLR2009 macrumors regular

8. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I think you can, just go here:

http://tinyurl.com/beh5jz

All you need is this and a DVI cable any length needed, which you can find most anywhere like Amazon.com. I use a 3 meter DVI cable with mine. That provided you are going DVI out of your video card to mini-DVI into the monitor.

9. huussi macrumors member

Unfortunately that won't work, since the 24" LED sports a male-miniDisplayPort, so we would need a cable with a female plug.