Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctheriot

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
I've got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse - and the wake from sleep on bluetooth option is checked but my Air goes to sleep when ever I close the lid and won't wake up unless it's open. Is the Air not capable of this??

Mark

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
I've got a bluetooth keyboard and mouse - and the wake from sleep on bluetooth option is checked but my Air goes to sleep when ever I close the lid and won't wake up unless it's open. Is the Air not capable of this??

Mark

I thought they would wake on bluetooth, guess not. However, go to versiontracker.com and download a free utility called InsomniaX. It works like a champ.

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I thought they would wake on bluetooth, guess not. However, go to versiontracker.com and download a free utility called InsomniaX. It works like a champ.

Thanks for the tip.

Is this what people use for the other Mac laptops?

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Thanks for the tip.

Is this what people use for the other Mac laptops?

Yes. It is also the only such tool I know about. It was the first link in Google when I searched for it and I have loved it since. It puts a little blue icon on the top toolbar. You just click it and select "Enable InsomniaX". Your machine wont sleep when you close it. The "Enable Hibernation" feature is buggy in Leopard so use at your own risk.

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
No lid closed mode?

Whoa, it doesn't run in lid closed mode? Wow, I know that might not matter to many, but i was trying to decide between MBP and MBA - and if that is true, that is a deal breaker for me.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
Whoa, it doesn't run in lid closed mode? Wow, I know that might not matter to many, but i was trying to decide between MBP and MBA - and if that is true, that is a deal breaker for me.

The MBP doesnt run in lid-closed mode either unless you have an external monitor plugged in. I dont think any mac laptop does. I use InsomniaX so that I can close it and hook up to it via VNC server on my windows box at work.

xyion1

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007

Mark

my MBP (don't have a MBA) only operates an external monitor with the lid closed if AC power is plugged in. It will operate the display and a monitor when the lid is open (I use an apple wireless keyboard & wireless mighty mouse) but not with the lid closed. I don't know if this is caused by Power Saver mode or whatever, but it was in Tiger and Leopard.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
my MBP (don't have a MBA) only operates an external monitor with the lid closed if AC power is plugged in. It will operate the display and a monitor when the lid is open (I use an apple wireless keyboard & wireless mighty mouse) but not with the lid closed. I don't know if this is caused by Power Saver mode or whatever, but it was in Tiger and Leopard.

You've just described how clamshell mode is supposed to operate.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the macbook Air operates this way?

loghyr

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
You've just described how clamshell mode is supposed to operate.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the macbook Air operates this way?

Yes, I set up my MBA with the wireless keyboard and mouse. I attached it to an external monitor and AC power.

I shut the top and it did not work.

I opened it back up and shut it again. Now it is working. I think it was shifting displays and might have been working the first time.

Thanks all for the help - this was a feature I wanted as well.

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
Apple's Support Doc says yes

Apple's support doc says it does run in closed lid mode -- and by closed lid mode I mean with external power, keyboard, mouse & monitor. That is the definition of "closed lid mode" in Apple parlance. There are other haxies to do other things with the lid closed.

johnlvx

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
It wakes up when I move my bluetooth mouse.....:confused:

When you "Sleep the Display", shut it, then do something, the display WILL come back on. I get around it by turning the display all the way down(off) or I just don't worry about it... I don't think the LEDS will ever burn out... at least not until these are as useful as an Apple II.

interstink

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Ive used this on the MBP, stopped using at after I opened the MBP and the screen and keyboard was so hot I thought is was going to melt. The MBA may be a completely different storry since is doesnt get as hot as its older brother.

jhelms54

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
My MBA would not wake with the lid closed unless the AC adapter is connected. It also stretches across my widescreen TV when its closed just like my MB did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.