Can the Apple Cinema Display be improved?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacYale, Apr 3, 2011.

1. MacYale macrumors newbie

I just bought an MPB for college. It's a lot faster than my iMac, which is a 24" dualcore C2D with only 2GB RAM. So i figure i'll sell it off and buy an ACD because I do need screen real estate as I do design work from home (and 27" is the perfect size for me).

The design is amazing, like the latest imacs minus the chin, and the glossy won't be a huge issue as I have lighting that doesn't turn it into a mirror. Although it does seem ridiculously expensive...

Anyway, my question is: is a significant upgrade due? I noticed the average update time is coming up in under 2 months, but looking back since the early 2000s, the display is something that has received very few significant updates (just price cuts, mostly).

The thing is, I could, for now, keep my iMac and hold off—IF a significant upgrade was due. But if I like the design, like the size, am okay with the price... am I just waiting for nothing? Should I just get one now?

EDIT: Bonus question: how good are the ACD speakers? Better than iMacs? Wondering if I could declutter my desk my selling my logitechs too.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As ACD is not an iMac minus CPU. It is a monitor. It does not have speakers. Apple has not done monitor/speaker combinations since it discontinued the AppleVision ColorSync 750AV/850AV back in 1997. Today, Mac users use either the speaker built into their computer or a set of external speakers. Your MacBook Pro has a standard stereo minijack. It will accept any set of speakers or headphones that use a standard stereo miniplug.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

The ACD 27" DOES have speakers, mic, and iSight.
    http://www.apple.com//displays/

4. alfmil macrumors regular

I guess Thunderbolt would be the next thing they add - who knows when. Don't know how significant that is for you though...

5. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Where have you been for the last year?

Anyway, yeah, the speakers are exactly the same as the iMac 27".

Even if they revise it, it would be incredibly hard to improve the screen quality, so the only changes would be thunderbolt and possibly small design changes imo.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't purchase monitors every year, so I stand corrected on this point. I do agree that the LED Cinema Display would be difficult to improve upon as a monitor. The fact is that Apple LED displays have been fantastic for years now. You can quibble about features and aesthetics. However, the quality of the displays is top notch.

7. MacYale thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, my question is answered. There is no upgrade worth waiting for in the lurks, it seems. Thanks everyone.

8. CHSeifert, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Please sh-ut up when you talk about things you so obviously don't know jack about :rolleyes: :mad:

The ACD 27" does have internal speakers and they are pretty much the same quality as the speakers in the iMac and the ACD 27 does have an iSight cam.

Regarding ways Apple could improve this IPS panel, which already is pretty great:

1. Better response time
    2. Slightly less glossy screen
    3. Adjustable stand - I need to be able to move it laterally to the side without moving the entire stand and I need to be able to adjust the height of the screen to improve viewing angle. Unless you have an adjustable deskstand, this screen could turn into a smaller nightmare for you ;)
    4. DVI interface would be nice so PC buyers could use it directly and Apple would sell even more of these screens.
    5. I need a flash card reader in the side, just like in the iMac and also 3-4 USB 3.0 hubs.
    6. Include 2 Thunderbolt ports

Besides these 6 points - this is the best screen I've ever owned :p

I'm a screen junkie - so base your opinion on that. I expect the best, when I invest this much money in a screen, and to be honest it does really look nice, but there are definite room for some serious improvements in this screen - my 6 points above is in my view pretty fair demands, not outrageous in any way.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There is no ACD 27 (27-inch Apple Cinema Display). The ACD line has been discontinued. The display is the LED Cinema Display (27-inch).

10. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

Only thing for me is 120Hz, so that I could play some 3D games on Windows if I ever wanted to :)

11. Ashok0, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Ashok0 macrumors regular

OP, I would just go buy a display now, I am guessing it may be several years until we see an Apple refresh. When compared to similar displays, the only noticeably missing feature for me is the lack of native 1920x1080p and DVI. If you want these features wait for the Samsung SA850 which ships this Spring. Its specs are very, very similar to the ACD27" (27" @ 2560x1440, semi-glossy panel, brushed aluminum casing) but it is also rumored to support native 1080p and have DVI inputs. If you don't need these features just buy the ACD27".

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

People here use "ACD" to mean the current generation LED Cinema Displays... Seems like your vocab is kind of out of date ;)

13. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I think you are a little confused. And to be honest, I can't blame you...

ACD = Apple Cinema Display (generally a user created acronym)

ADC = Apple Display Connector. Used on the old acrylic displays which is now long discontinued. I believe this is what you were thinking of.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Thanks for the help, but I was not confused. The Apple Cinema Display line of monitors has been discontinued. Apple's current line of monitors is the LED Cinema Display. As for the Apple Display Connector, that has not been used since Apple discontinued the Apple Cinema HD Display acrylic framed monitors back in 2004.

15. VPrime, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you have no clue about the current gen of monitor how about you stop trying to give info about them... Especially when it is wrong or out dated?
    It could be quite confusing to someone new... They may take your very out dated ( and wrong) info as fact.

16. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

the only update I see coming in the near future (like within one year) is the introduction of a thunderbolt port. right now the ACD can only be plugged at the end of the daisy chain. a TB port'd allow to put it at any point.

17. BigheadEdd macrumors newbie

why is there a need to include additional thunderbolt ports?
    Thunderbolt supports daisy-chaining anyway

http://www.apple.com/uk/thunderbolt/

So you'd just do Macbook pro -> Hard drive -> Apple Screen

edit. Apologies just seen the post above me mentioning the same thing.
    Though I think that I read somewhere that the screen has to go at the end?