Can the Apple Lightning Dock damage my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by faithfulviewer, Oct 2, 2015.

1. faithfulviewer macrumors newbie

Hi. I bought the Apple's Silver iPhone Lightning Dock the other day and I'm really enjoying the looks and functionality, but I'm worrying that keeping my iPhone in an upright position for extensive periods of time might damage it over time.

I keep the iPhone in the dock for most of the time when I'm home. For example, my iPhone sits in the dock all night when I charge it or using it as an alarm clock, and for several hours during the day for listening to music or answering phone calls while I'm working at my desk. I don't mean to say that I charge it all the time, when the battery is full I switch off the power of the multiple socket that the dock's connected to so it doesn't overcharge; still I prefer not to remove it from the dock and leave it upright instead of lying it flat on the desk, because I don't want to connect and disconnect the speakers every time I move the phone from the dock, and I find it easier to reach it for music controls/possible phone calls. Plus it looks nicer.

Do you think that keeping my iPhone upright in the dock (but not charging all the time!) for like 15+ hours every day might damage it over time? Do you think that, due to the position and weight of the phone, its lightning port or others connectors/internal components could get damaged by staying upright in the dock for most of the day? Does anybody have any direct experience on this matter, like can anybody assure that there won't be any damages because they've been sitting their current/previous phone in the dock for long periods of time and nothing bad happened? Thanks for your help.

2. MCube74 macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. Apple designed the dock so that people can charge their phones for as long as they want. I am sure many will leave their phones to charge over night.