Can the Apple store open my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

Basically, the 2x 2GB ram for my MBP came today, and I was trying to open my MBP, but I realized I don't have the screwdriver for it. I have the right size, but it's just too worn to unscrew such tightly screwed screws without ruining the screws themselves.

So I'm wondering if I could bring my MBP in and have them open it for me. I've heard they charge $30 for installing non-Apple RAM (mine's Crucial), but I feel like I can install it super-easy once I get the machine open.

If they would open it, I was considering installing my RAM in the car, and then bringing it back to them so they can close it.

Will they do that? And for free?

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Just go to RadioShack and get a small screw driver set, then you are set for life. Look to spend under 15 bucks

3. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

That doesn't really answer my question.

The reason I don't want to go get another set is because I have the RIGHT SIZE screwdriver already, but either the screwdriver is worn out or the screws are too tight.

If it's the latter, then I just bought a screwdriver set for no reason.

4. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i doubt they will do that without charging you. they would still be liable for any damage (stripped screws.) just buy the right screw driver and do it yourself.

5. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

yes they can open the mbp and install it for you...but they will have an "installation" charge.

find a screwdriver that will fit will save you the most money.

6. Pngwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Alright. Does anyone know if they can open it for free? (not install the RAM)

I just don't want to make the trip for no reason..

7. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Since this is such an unusal question, why don't you just call the Apple Store and ask them.

8. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Sorry but, I highly doubt you don't have the right size, my guess is you have one size too small or too big. The driver should seat fully into the screw, and will also require medium to light down pressure to start loosening it.

Anyway, you can take it in and ask for an estimate, or call (as others have mentioned) to get an official answer to your question.

Either way, enjoy your new toy, and best of luck!

[​IMG]

9. futuremac macrumors member

Buy a screwdriver set! They can be used for other things you know. The MBP is made so the user can upgrade it.

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if you upgrade the HDD in the future...are you going to bring it back to them to just simply open?

just get a fine wiha screw driver set.

geniuses are busy people. I dont think they'll do it for free, if at all.