Can the Apple Store switch an individual plan to a Family plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Felder71, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Felder71 macrumors member

I've called two separate stores and the phone representative didn't think they could do this, so I was wondering if anyone here had experience.

I have an individual plan and I want to add my wife and get her an iPhone. So, can we go to the Apple Store, have them switch the individual plan to a family plan, and then add the iPhone to that new second line? Anyone else have success with that. Thanks for any info you can provide.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Your best bet is to just go to the Apple store and have them start a new individual line for your wife. To make it easy just open the new line in your name, it will be added to your AT&T Account even though it is on a different contract. It will make the next step easier and faster if both lines are on the same AT&T Account, under your name.

Once you get the iPhone 3G and the line, you just call AT&T Customer Care and have the lines merged into a single FamilyTalk rate plan. There is no extra cost and it is a very easy process. It will not affect your contract or her new contract. Each line on a FamilyTalk rate plans has an individual contract term.

Dave