Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Hi,

i wanna watch some appletv+ tv show on my macbook which is attached to a 5.1 receiver- but all I hear is stereo sound. Is there a way to enable 5.1, or does this seriously only work with a dedicated apple tv?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Really only two things to check and that's the source (TV show) or receiver. Apple's TV app doesn't really seem to have any options for audio other than downloading multichannel audio in the settings so not quite sure what audio codec they are using. Then obviously make sure your receiver isn't set to stereo only or some predefined limitation. You can also use some form of multi-stereo/channel to at least here everything out of all speakers.

Do you have another video subscription like Netflix that says if it's in 5.1 or similar then see how your receiver works with that?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Really only two things to check and that's the source (TV show) or receiver. Apple's TV app doesn't really seem to have any options for audio other than downloading multichannel audio in the settings so not quite sure what audio codec they are using. Then obviously make sure your receiver isn't set to stereo only or some predefined limitation. You can also use some form of multi-stereo/channel to at least here everything out of all speakers.

Do you have another video subscription like Netflix that says if it's in 5.1 or similar then see how your receiver works with that?
Yea Netflix in safari works fine with 5.1! apple doesn’t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.