Can the apple watch measure my sleep??

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
not yet. I'm sure there will be though. Apple should put this feature in. I sleep with my watch on every night I have work to wake me up in the morning.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
I think also they need to improve battery life. Currently you have to charge the watch at night soo that would make it hard to help track sleep.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
Apple clearly plans on doing something with sleep measurement as the health app on the iPhone has a whole section on sleep. I'm guessing an app will eventually come out for the watch that will allow for a collection of sleep data.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I think also they need to improve battery life. Currently you have to charge the watch at night soo that would make it hard to help track sleep.
Battery life isn't an issue. You don't have to charge it at night. I sleep with mine on and never see the battery get below 30%. I typically charge it while getting ready for work in the morning, then after my daily workout, or if I am just sitting at my desk at work. It usually only takes about an hour to charge it from 50%, and mine rarely get's there.

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
the health app has a ton of sections that have nothing to do with the Apple Watch, at least yet.

Personally, it's uncomfortable to sleep with the AW on, especially coming from a Fitbit Charge HR that I had been wearing the last 6 months.

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
the health app has a ton of sections that have nothing to do with the Apple Watch, at least yet.

Personally, it's uncomfortable to sleep with the AW on, especially coming from a Fitbit Charge HR that I had been wearing the last 6 months.
I have the exact opposite experience. I find it totally comfortable to sleep with the AW on. I guess I am used to wearing a watch, and also wearing one to sleep, so the AW actually feels like it is not even there. Prior to the AW, I was wearing a Basis Peak which gave you incredible sleep metrics, along with continuous HR monitoring. Unfortunately, it was a bit clunky, and was pretty uncomfortable to wear while sleeping which is why I moved on from it.

I do really miss the data it provided though.

ericg301

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
My Fitbit helped me get off Ambien -- made me realize that I was getting less sleep than I thought and what I needed. Even though I was in bed for 9 hours a night, I was only sleeping between 6 and 7. Now I stay up later and am bed for 7 hours a night and fall asleep almost right away, vs tossing and turning for a couple hours.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I paid $34 on Amazon for the discontinued Jawbone Up and I'm using that to track sleep until the watch can do it. The Up is as good or better than the Charge HR was at sleep tracking.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I don't think that battery life will be a problem for a sleep app. The watch will go from almost dead to fully charged in about 2 hours. If you have a watch like mine that is about 40% at 10:00PM then an hour or less will charge it up enough to get you through the night with a brief top off in the morning.