Can the apple watch measure my sleep??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lewanchris, Jun 23, 2015.

1. lewanchris macrumors newbie

Hi all

I was wondering if there is a app that will allow me to measure my sleep?

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

not yet. I'm sure there will be though. Apple should put this feature in. I sleep with my watch on every night I have work to wake me up in the morning.

3. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Now that Watch OS 2 gives devs native app support with APIs, a sleep app is possible.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

They need to get some additional fitness apps or "flesh out" their Activity app.

5. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I think also they need to improve battery life. Currently you have to charge the watch at night soo that would make it hard to help track sleep.

6. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Battery life hasn't been an issue for me, I easily get two days out of my watch.

7. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Most people get one day out of it so they would need to improve the battery life a bit.

8. Honey Badger macrumors 6502a

Honey Badger

Apple clearly plans on doing something with sleep measurement as the health app on the iPhone has a whole section on sleep. I'm guessing an app will eventually come out for the watch that will allow for a collection of sleep data.

9. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Battery life isn't an issue. You don't have to charge it at night. I sleep with mine on and never see the battery get below 30%. I typically charge it while getting ready for work in the morning, then after my daily workout, or if I am just sitting at my desk at work. It usually only takes about an hour to charge it from 50%, and mine rarely get's there.

10. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

the health app has a ton of sections that have nothing to do with the Apple Watch, at least yet.

Personally, it's uncomfortable to sleep with the AW on, especially coming from a Fitbit Charge HR that I had been wearing the last 6 months.

11. Bob190 macrumors 6502

I have the exact opposite experience. I find it totally comfortable to sleep with the AW on. I guess I am used to wearing a watch, and also wearing one to sleep, so the AW actually feels like it is not even there. Prior to the AW, I was wearing a Basis Peak which gave you incredible sleep metrics, along with continuous HR monitoring. Unfortunately, it was a bit clunky, and was pretty uncomfortable to wear while sleeping which is why I moved on from it.

I do really miss the data it provided though.

12. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

My Fitbit helped me get off Ambien -- made me realize that I was getting less sleep than I thought and what I needed. Even though I was in bed for 9 hours a night, I was only sleeping between 6 and 7. Now I stay up later and am bed for 7 hours a night and fall asleep almost right away, vs tossing and turning for a couple hours.

13. lewanchris thread starter macrumors newbie

i do miss my fitbit:-( the sleep feature on it is excellent!!

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I paid $34 on Amazon for the discontinued Jawbone Up and I'm using that to track sleep until the watch can do it. The Up is as good or better than the Charge HR was at sleep tracking.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I don't think that battery life will be a problem for a sleep app. The watch will go from almost dead to fully charged in about 2 hours. If you have a watch like mine that is about 40% at 10:00PM then an hour or less will charge it up enough to get you through the night with a brief top off in the morning.