Can the Apple Watch tell the difference between..

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bdoskail, May 2, 2015.

1. Bdoskail macrumors member

Can the Apple Watch tell the difference between when I am Walking and Running, or Running and Cycling or do I have to specify it in the workout app so that it registers?

2. Bdoskail thread starter macrumors member

3. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

Walking and running yes, it's based on arm movement. So cycling and running no, you need to tell it because it can't sense your arm moving when you cycle. People who jog pushing a stroller would and are having issues...

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

If you're going out for a run, you should start an "Indoor Run" or an "Outdoor Run" in the workout app. There are also "Indoor Walk" and "Outdoor Walk" options.

5. Bdoskail thread starter macrumors member

So if I suddenly start running because I'm late somewhere, will it detect this or would I have to let it know I'm going to go running before I start the run?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You seem to be confusing a structured exercise activity recored with the Workout app from an everyday activity. If you are up and moving at a "brisk walking pace" level or higher the :apple:Watch will count this as time of exercise but will not start or add to the Workout app.

7. Stokkes macrumors member

There are 3 activity rings that track your progress through the day. These are Calories burned, exercise minutes and hours stood. The middle activity ring, Exercise minutes can register exercise in the form of running or brisk walls, or other movement it deems is more than just normal walking. Meaning even if you don't specifically use the workout app to monitor a workout, the watch can and will detect other movement it deems is "exercise" and credit you for that in the ring.

8. bnty22 macrumors newbie

It seems this is all subjective as I was out mowing the lawn the other day (no arm movement) yet I was recorded by the watch as having had exercised. Very interesting.

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If your HR is elevated it can tell. Also the accelerometer can detect movement even without an arm swinging/movement.

10. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Some of you are giving the watch way more credit than it deserves. You will find the watch will interpret even a ride in the car as steps taken just like other less sophisticated devices.

11. Bdoskail thread starter macrumors member

I see, so the watch should be able to tell the difference between walking and running but if I want it to be a workout I need to start an activity in the workout app.

12. Planepics macrumors regular

Planepics

Probably from the vibrations....I have a fitbit, and it goes into sleep mode from the vibrations of a shopping cart! At least the watch gives you brownie points!:confused:

13. bnty22 macrumors newbie

Not too familiar with Fitbit or its operations but are you still being recorded while in sleep mode?

14. vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

nay with watch.. yes with fitbit...

15. Planepics macrumors regular

Planepics

It shows me having a VERY fitful sleep! :D