can the eject button eject external hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by niemo810, Jan 18, 2009.

1. niemo810 macrumors member

Hey all,

I rarely use my superdrive, so I thought it might be more practical to have the button eject my external hard drive(s). Is there a way to do this through OS X or a third party app?

Thanks

/rgn

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Are you talking about a Hard drive or a disc drive? You said super drive and then you switched to hard drive. But I think the answer is yes to both. I have had a dvd in my external dvd drive and it can be ejected by simply pushing the eject button. And also when I have my external hard drive mounted, it can easily be ejected by dragging the icon onto the trashcan/eject icon. Or am I simply misunderstanding your question? :eek:

3. geerlingguy macrumors 6502a

geerlingguy

I've never seen a way to do this, as the way Volumes are handled by OSX, it would be very hard to write any kind of script or app to do what you describe.

4. niemo810 thread starter macrumors member

I guess my question wasn't as clear as I had hoped. I'd like to be able to hit the eject key on my keyboard, and instead of ejecting whatever disc is in my superdrive, I'd like it to unmount my external hard drives, as I find myself doing that much more often than ejecting cd's or dvd's.

Thanks!

5. zevot macrumors member

i would like to know that too
    anyone care to make some input please :D

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Closest I ever gotten short of dragging the hard disk icon to the trash bin was highlight the hard disk and press command + e.

7. niemo810 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestion! I will use that if nobody comes up with the eject button solution :)

8. LiamP93 macrumors newbie

Try this :D

Download a program called TinkerTool just google it.. it's freeware.. if you do that there's a setting so you can have the eject button on the top toolbar.. if you understand.. and usually if you have a hard drive plugged in.. you click it once and you can move your mouse down and click something that says.. for example 'Eject "Toshiba HD"' and it does exactly that.. I admit it isn't perfect and what you're looking for.. but it's pretty cook that TinkerTool is pretty amazing as well.. it lets you change all the settings that Apple don't allow you to ... :)

9. LiamP93 macrumors newbie

oops

Just realised how old this thread was lol XD