Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
No YOU don't get it

Did I ever mention DP4? No, I didn't.

I mentioned the Gold Master. I am going from
Snow Leopard to the Gold Master.

The Gold Master, for all intensive purposes IS
THE FINAL RELEASE.

Now reread my post again.

I want to reinstall the consumer version over
the Gold Master so I can pay for it and support Apple.

All I want to know is if I can do that.

i dont think u can do that without formatting the current setup(GM) and losing the files on the drive.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
lamonsas,

Thanks very much for the reply.

I suppose that is the big question -- whether
the current GM will update in the same way as
the final consumer release.

That "unknown" is the only thing stopping me
from installing.

Thanks again

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
No YOU don't get it

Did I ever mention DP4? No, I didn't.

I mentioned the Gold Master. I am going from
Snow Leopard to the Gold Master.

The Gold Master, for all intensive purposes IS
THE FINAL RELEASE.

Now reread my post again.

I want to reinstall the consumer version over
the Gold Master so I can pay for it and support Apple.

All I want to know is if I can do that.

Do tell. How are you going to download Lion from the Mac App Store when you already have Lion installed? It will show up with a grayed out "Installed" button instead of the standard green "Buy Now" button.

Side note: no need to be combative with the other guy. He was pointing out:

A) In the past, you haven't been able to just update, it required a clean install.

and

B) No one knows for sure because this is a completely new process.

Last edited:

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
i think im just going to wait for the final even though its so hard to wait, i dont want to run into issues with the GM and the final compatibility issues.

i want lion soooo bad ugh :rolleyes:

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
i think im just going to wait for the final

I am with you.

No use installing the GM only to find out it won't update.

I am going to wait for the final version as well. Best rumored
dates are next Wednesday or July 14th.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
i mean honestly if i had nothing to lose i would get the Golden master and install it but since im not sure if it will update or not i dont think its worth taking a chance, for me atleast, im gonna have to backup all my music and photos and do a fresh install(in the case it wont update) which would totally suck (first you need to install snow leopard and THEN lion , lots of work for nothing)

I soooo hope it will come out July 6 like the rumors say but i have a feeling it wont just for the heck of making us wait more.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
for all intensive purposes

"for all intents and purposes"
Sorry, had to point that out.

But yes, the GM, barring any huge bugs, will be what is available to the general public, in exactly the form it is now available to developers.

Nero182

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2009
Surely you could just make an Image of your SL Install. Update to Lion GM and if it does not let you buy Lion restore from the SL Image. Then buy it through the App Store.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
for all intensive purposes
Haha. Yeah, I screwed up. Thanks.

Surely you could just make an Image of your SL Install. Update to Lion GM and if it does not let you buy Lion restore from the SL Image. Then buy it through the App Store.
Yes, but here is the problem....

MobileMe

I was using the DP4 of Lion weeks ago and the problem
was that any change I made under Lion affected what was
being propogated through MobileMe. If I switch back to
Snow Leopard, even momentarily, it reverts back to old
information.

Additionally, any music, programs or files you add while
using Lion get erased when going back to Snow Leopard
in order to install a new copy of Lion again.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
It's really simple, if you are worried at all about the GM build not being the same exact release as the "retail" version then don't install it.

On the other hand, if you are not paranoid and actually understand OS X releases then you shouldn't worry about it and go ahead and install the GM build.

Bottom line is that the GM build is the final retail release. There is an extremely (very small) chance that a show stopping bug causes them to delay and release a second GM build, but we would already know about some major bug by now (or will soon).

Every single OS X GM build has been 100% identical to the retail copy of the OS. This was the case with Snow Leopard, Leopard, Tiger, Panther, and Jaguar. They have all been able to get updates, and there is actually no way to identify which version was downloaded from the developer site and which was purchased from the Mac App Store.

The crucial difference between the two? When using the developer build you are subject to the developer agreements, which might include some restrictions. However again, there is absolutely no way to identify between the two versions once they are installed.

The only situation where this isn't the case is if Apple delays the release due to a huge bug in the current GM release.

What is most important is the question of why anyone is in a rush to install Lion? There are going to be apps that don't work properly and certainly maybe some tiny bugs still lingering around. Unless you are a developer and want to test out your apps on the GM build, you have no legit reasons to install it and should wait until the public release on the Mac App Store. Or even better, wait until 10.7.1 comes out and fixes whatever bugs still remain, and more apps get updated to work with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
GM =! Final / Retail or whatever. GM is more like a release candidate really.

Apple's history shows GM's very often being identical to the final product, but there has been occasions where things have gone wrong, there have been some bugs needing to be addressed before the final release and suddenly we've got GM2.

Didn't we actually get that with iOS4.3 or something?
It does not happen often, but it might so there is no way you can tell for sure that this Lion GM is indeed going to be identical to the final version.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
GM =! Final / Retail or whatever. GM is more like a release candidate really.

Apple's history shows GM's very often being identical to the final product, but there has been occasions where things have gone wrong, there have been some bugs needing to be addressed before the final release and suddenly we've got GM2.

Didn't we actually get that with iOS4.3 or something?
It does not happen often, but it might so there is no way you can tell for sure that this Lion GM is indeed going to be identical to the final version.

The only time that has happened is with iOS, it has never happened with OS X. Obviously it's still possible but not very probable at all.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
Indeed it's very unlikely, but Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview's have had their share of BUG's and the DP4 was far from being close to perfect, I have yet to test the GM yet but there might seem like Apple are rushing things here for some reason. But I hope I'm mistaken and that Lion GM proves to be stable and without any major bugs.

There is one critical flaw still with this GM release, it won't install on a RAID0 configuration. The installation will start but upon the reboot you'll meet the question mark and no finalising of the installation like with all the DP's so far.

Would seem horrendous if Apple decides to make the final version of Mac OS X Lion incapable of being installable on RAID configurations.. That will surly piss-off lots, and lots of Mac Pro users.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Indeed it's very unlikely, but Mac OS X Lion Developer Preview's have had their share of BUG's and the DP4 was far from being close to perfect, I have yet to test the GM yet but there might seem like Apple are rushing things here for some reason. But I hope I'm mistaken and that Lion GM proves to be stable and without any major bugs.

There is one critical flaw still with this GM release, it won't install on a RAID0 configuration. The installation will start but upon the reboot you'll meet the question mark and no finalising of the installation like with all the DP's so far.

Would seem horrendous if Apple decides to make the final version of Mac OS X Lion incapable of being installable on RAID configurations.. That will surly piss-off lots, and lots of Mac Pro users.

Could it just be your RAID setup? I highly doubt that Apple didn't test it out in RAID configs running on Mac Pros, but then again anything is possible.

Also if it's true that Apple is rushing this release, there is probably a bigger reason (like new MacBook Airs) which are basically forcing their hand on this GM build, and that gives even more reasons why there wouldn't be a second GM release.

Update: Found a post which says software raid installs worked on DP4 on their MacBook Pro, so I have no clue why you are having problems. I can't link it because it looks like some piracy links might be on the site.

Last edited:

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
This is the stupidest thread ever.

The GM is the version that will hit the App Store. The exact. same. thing.
This is how it has ALWAYS worked. This is why the GM being released is such a big deal so that we all know that we can safely "acquire" Lion now.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
This is the stupidest thread ever.

The GM is the version that will hit the App Store. The exact. same. thing.
This is how it has ALWAYS worked. This is why the GM being released is such a big deal so that we all know that we can safely "acquire" Lion now.

GM is the FINAL RELEASE that will go out on the Mac App Store later this month.

finishim

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2011
for all those downloading the .dmg GM from torrent sites, is it possible to install this without being a dev? wont there be some sort of road block?

axu539

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2010
for all those downloading the .dmg GM from torrent sites, is it possible to install this without being a dev? wont there be some sort of road block?

I know many people tormented even the DPs without a hitch. What those did, I believe, was just phone home to Apple, and this was more for diagnostic than for anti-piracy. The GM is basically the final version (unless, like many have stated, there's a MAJOR bug that cannot possibly be allowed), so I don't believe there will be any issue with the torrented GM copies. That being said, since Lion only costs $30, I see no reason people need to be tormenting it. I see those that torrent it, even at this price, as incredibly irresponsible and inconsiderate.

newfoundglory

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007

This counts as a show stopper if you ask me. Apple, get this fixed.

eidimon

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
I know many people tormented even the DPs without a hitch. What those did, I believe, was just phone home to Apple, and this was more for diagnostic than for anti-piracy. The GM is basically the final version (unless, like many have stated, there's a MAJOR bug that cannot possibly be allowed), so I don't believe there will be any issue with the torrented GM copies. That being said, since Lion only costs $30, I see no reason people need to be tormenting it. I see those that torrent it, even at this price, as incredibly irresponsible and inconsiderate.

Well, there are people that definitely will buy it, but wouldn't mind being able to use it a couple of weeks early (since GM is practically the final version).
So, if you can still buy it from the AppStore afterwards, update as usual without having to do a clean install, I basically don't see any harm.
Haven't intstalled it yet, but I am thinking of trying it on my iMac, and when it's finally available at the AppStore buy it, and install it on my MacBook Pro as well.
I know The right thing would be to wait a couple of weeks more and get it straight from the AppStore, but there is this great urge to try it now (which I believe many people here will find quite familiar) that makes me seriously think about installing the GM...

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Does anyone know how Lion will receive system updates? During the keynote, Phil said Lion "obeys all the Mac App Store rules." I'm worried that if we download and install the GM it won't accept updates from the App Store since the install won't be tied to our Apple IDs.

Unless, Lion will still receive updates through System Updates. I would think it should. Especially since some people don't need to ever download Lion through the App Store since it will come pre-installed on their new Macs.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.