Can the HD in a Time Capsule be used as a network HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by some-dude, Jul 2, 2011.

1. some-dude macrumors member

Can the HD in the TC be used as a network HD?

I don't really need 2-3TB of backup, so I'd like to partition the disk and use 1 partition for backup and the remainder as network storage.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, it can be configured to show up NAS drive via either SMB (Windows) or AFP (Mac) file sharing protocols.

3. niewiesznic macrumors regular

niewiesznic

Yes. I use 320Gb 2,5" HDD (switched with internal 3,5" hdd in Time Capsule) as a network drive.

4. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

If I may interject then, can one access a USB Hard Drive plugged into the Time Capsule off one's network, as a network drive?

Thanks
    David

5. skorpien macrumors 68020

6. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

7. kcdude macrumors regular

Mind sharing instructions? I followed those posted in other threads on my latest gen TC and it will not give you a partition option or allow you to create a new disk image....all the options are there but the option to create is grayed out.

8. Uffish Thought macrumors member

TC Time Machine partition.

http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/A8.html

1. Let TM start a backup on TC, until the sparse bundle is made, then stop the backup.
    2. Follow the instructions from the link above.

Disk utility would only let me create a 900 MB partition, on my 2T TC, but that's ok as my HD files are 250 MB.

9. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting that, Uffish Thought -- I hadn't seen those instructions before! Presumably setting the max size of the sparsebundle file is working for you? It makes me a little nervous to begin messing with TM's files...

I've been wondering about a solution to the "Time Machine uses up the entire disk" problem, and the other approach of partitioning the TC's hard drive is inconvenient at best. From what I've read, the only way to partition the TC's internal HD is to remove it, put it in an enclosure/dock/bay to partition it, and re-install it into the TC. This is doable (I've previously opened up my TC to replace the HD) but I don't have a spare enclosure or SATA connection.

10. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Pondini's site also points to a third option to keeping space on the TC drive for your own files: "Or, there is a workaround, to "reserve" some space there, by creating a disk image of the desired size and storing your data there, but it's rather cumbersome, and two Macs can't share it at the same time."

See http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/TCQ3.html

11. Uffish Thought macrumors member

So far the partition is working well. I haven't filled the space with backup files yet, but I don't anticipate any problems.

I've moved my media files over to the TC also, and now stream to my iPad and wirelessly to my MBP->HDMI TV. Eventually I'll get a wifi LCD TV, or AppleTV.

I also backup my media to a FW800 drive for safe keeping.

12. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that info. I guess the real test will be when the sparsebundle is filled with backup files.