Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I'm wondering if it's possible to use iMovies' time lapse feature with the HV20? Or any other program that does time lapse.

I really miss Canon's Remote Capture with my old S500 camera. I made some great time lapse movies with that.

bkvideography

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2007
iMovie works with the isight, dv, and hdv format...if your camera falls under one of those formats, I don't see why it wouldn't work...

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Well a co-worker just picked one up so I was able to try it out myself. Works like a charm! Was up and doing time-lapse movies in, oh about 30 seconds!

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
HV20 Doesn't Have Time Lapse

Well a co-worker just picked one up so I was able to try it out myself. Works like a charm! Was up and doing time-lapse movies in, oh about 30 seconds!
Please explain what you mean. Are you saying the HV20 has a time lapse feature in it? I have the manual and it doesn't show that capability anywhere. So what are you trying to tell us?

Please reply like we are 6 years old. Thank you.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Please explain what you mean. Are you saying the HV20 has a time lapse feature in it? I have the manual and it doesn't show that capability anywhere. So what are you trying to tell us?

Please reply like we are 6 years old. Thank you.

Well you hook up the camera to a mac via firewire.

Then in iMovie you click on the camera icon, the one right next to the scissor icon.

A menu will appear with the name of the camera and an option the says 'Time Lapse'. You click that and it gives you the option to 'Capture X frames for every X frames of video'.

Now, when you start recording, it will only save X frame for every X frames of video. Now when you play it back in iMovie, the clip is a classic timelapse. IMO this is much easier than using a still camera.

Oh, and no the HV20 doesn't have a time lapse feature built in. But it is compatible with iMovie as far as capturing video directly from the camera, which is what I was wondering about.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Does iMovie Time Lapse Work In A HDV 1080i60 Project?

Well you hook up the camera to a mac via firewire.

Then in iMovie you click on the camera icon, the one right next to the scissor icon.

A menu will appear with the name of the camera and an option the says 'Time Lapse'. You click that and it gives you the option to 'Capture X frames for every X frames of video'.

Now, when you start recording, it will only save X frame for every X frames of video. Now when you play it back in iMovie, the clip is a classic timelapse. IMO this is much easier than using a still camera.

Oh, and no the HV20 doesn't have a time lapse feature built in. But it is compatible with iMovie as far as capturing video directly from the camera, which is what I was wondering about.
Did you do that in HDV 1080i60 mode?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Did you do that in HDV 1080i60 mode?

That is the mode I happen to do it in. I didn't get a chance to try out 24p or any other mode.

Edit: Well wait, maybe I did it in 1080i30 mode. That's what it's showing at the top of iMovie. Sorry, I only had about 10 min. with it.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Thanks For The iMovie Slow Mo Tip

That is the mode I happen to do it in. I didn't get a chance to try out 24p or any other mode.

Edit: Well wait, maybe I did it in 1080i30 mode. That's what it's showing at the top of iMovie. Sorry, I only had about 10 min. with it.
Thanks for that tip. I didn't know iMovie had that feature. Good reason for a mobile Mac in the field. Sony HC7 doesn't have that feature either.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Can you do this live, like just hook your camera up to the mac and have it record live like 1 frame every 10 seconds, or does it only do it when you're importing a tape? I don't have my camera here at school so I can't try this out.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Can you do this live, like just hook your camera up to the mac and have it record live like 1 frame every 10 seconds, or does it only do it when you're importing a tape? I don't have my camera here at school so I can't try this out.

From what it looked like, I was doing it live. You could also probably do it from a tape. I'm sure it depends on what the camera is set to. If you have it on 'camera', it does it live. If you have it on 'Play/VCR' it does it from the tape.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
You can also use a nice app called iStopMotion for time lapse and stop-motion photography with any iMovie compatible camera.

MacWorld has a good tutorial on how to set up a camera to do stop motion or time lapse photography - you can find it here.

MD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.