Can the HV20 do iMovie time lapse?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by slffl, Apr 18, 2007.

1. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I'm wondering if it's possible to use iMovies' time lapse feature with the HV20? Or any other program that does time lapse.

I really miss Canon's Remote Capture with my old S500 camera. I made some great time lapse movies with that.

2. bkvideography macrumors member

iMovie works with the isight, dv, and hdv format...if your camera falls under one of those formats, I don't see why it wouldn't work...

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Well a co-worker just picked one up so I was able to try it out myself. Works like a charm! Was up and doing time-lapse movies in, oh about 30 seconds!

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HV20 Doesn't Have Time Lapse

Please explain what you mean. Are you saying the HV20 has a time lapse feature in it? I have the manual and it doesn't show that capability anywhere. So what are you trying to tell us?

Please reply like we are 6 years old. Thank you.

6. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

Well you hook up the camera to a mac via firewire.

Then in iMovie you click on the camera icon, the one right next to the scissor icon.

A menu will appear with the name of the camera and an option the says 'Time Lapse'. You click that and it gives you the option to 'Capture X frames for every X frames of video'.

Now, when you start recording, it will only save X frame for every X frames of video. Now when you play it back in iMovie, the clip is a classic timelapse. IMO this is much easier than using a still camera.

Oh, and no the HV20 doesn't have a time lapse feature built in. But it is compatible with iMovie as far as capturing video directly from the camera, which is what I was wondering about.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Does iMovie Time Lapse Work In A HDV 1080i60 Project?

Did you do that in HDV 1080i60 mode?

8. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

That is the mode I happen to do it in. I didn't get a chance to try out 24p or any other mode.

Edit: Well wait, maybe I did it in 1080i30 mode. That's what it's showing at the top of iMovie. Sorry, I only had about 10 min. with it.

9. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Thanks For The iMovie Slow Mo Tip

Thanks for that tip. I didn't know iMovie had that feature. Good reason for a mobile Mac in the field. Sony HC7 doesn't have that feature either.

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Can you do this live, like just hook your camera up to the mac and have it record live like 1 frame every 10 seconds, or does it only do it when you're importing a tape? I don't have my camera here at school so I can't try this out.

11. slffl thread starter macrumors 65816

slffl

From what it looked like, I was doing it live. You could also probably do it from a tape. I'm sure it depends on what the camera is set to. If you have it on 'camera', it does it live. If you have it on 'Play/VCR' it does it from the tape.

12. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

You can also use a nice app called iStopMotion for time lapse and stop-motion photography with any iMovie compatible camera.

MacWorld has a good tutorial on how to set up a camera to do stop motion or time lapse photography - you can find it here.

MD