Can the iMac turn back on automatically after power failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by waltermitty, Aug 10, 2011.

1. waltermitty macrumors member

I am using an iMac as a file server at my work and recently installed a battery backup in case of a power failure. The APC unit shuts the computer down automatically when the battery dies, but my question, and I know it's a long shot, is whether or not I can have the system turn back on when power becomes available again. Of course I can physically turn it back on, but if this occurs at night or over the weekend when I'm not in the office it could be more problematic. I have heard of wake over ethernet... does anyone have experience with any of this?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The iMac can restart in the event of a power failure. Example: If the iMac is on and showing the Desktop, you can unplug it and plug it back in again. It will then startup again.

Macs only support waking up from sleep via Wake-on-LAN, not starting up.

3. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that helps. Tomorrow I'll run an experiment... turn off automatic shutdown, let the battery run out all the way, and see if the iMac enters an endless loop of trying to turn back on with the depleted battery (until the power comes back on hypothetically).

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It's an option in System Preferences > Energy Saver > Power Adapter:

Attached Files:

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've found that my mid-07 iMac won't turn back on if the power is removed a second time before Mac OS X gets to the login/blue screen.

6. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I actually tried that first, but the thing is, since I have a UPS plugged in which automatically shuts down the iMac nicely before the battery is completely drained, that feature is bypassed.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ah I hadn't thought of that. Sorry. :eek:

8. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

I'm just worried that the battery will have enough juice to spin up the drives, and then turn off. Like when I was a kid and my Gameboy ran out of batteries, I could turn it back on, play for one minute or so, and it would fail again... Getting shorter each time. I worry about that happening to the hard drive perhaps fifteen times before the battery is completely dead.

9. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

Don't be sorry! I appreciate your help. Thanks.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The only way the iMac would startup again is if the power was abruptly remove, like unplugging it. If the iMac is shut down, and the power is removed and reapplied, it won't startup again.

Maybe you could have it start every day at a certain time of day. So that in the event it is shutdown either via the UPS or an unenlightened co-worker, it'll come back online.