Can The IPAD 2 work in another country?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sandman512, Jun 25, 2011.

1. sandman512 macrumors member

Two part question?
    My friend is going to Panama for 10 days and would like to get internet access. First, will the IPAD be able to be used in Panama? Second, there a way I can get a month data plan so I can use it while there? Any thoughts/advice? THANKS!

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

I suspect only someone from Panama can answer that question so it may be difficult to get an answer here. Having said I would think it's highly unlikely that micro SIMS with iPad plans are available there since as far as I'm aware the iPad isn't officially available there.

3. ani23 macrumors 6502

I am not sure panamas climate will support iPad 2. I would get the universal weather app before going there.

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, if it's the AT&T iPad, then it's is unlocked. You would need to get a micro sim cutter, theyre available on amazon for a couple of bucks. When you get there, you have to go to the local gsm wireless provider and sing up for a month data plan and put in that sim card into the iPad after you have cut it down to size and then it should work. I have never done this so I don't know 100% if it will work, but it is my understanding that it should work that way.

5. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

6. WarmnSunny macrumors newbie

iPad in Panama should work just fine

This question was answered on the iPad Forum's carrier thread and your friend will be able to use it there. One carrier sells contract iPad plans there but i'm going to use the pre-paid option from Cable and Wireless, no commitment and perfect for a short term stay. The data plan is about $15. for a month. It's a great value.
    In the past I used an unlocked Blackberry while in Panama as it is the most popular phone but now that my iPhone is unlocked I can use it as well as my iPad.
    Enjoy Panama!