Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
I love my nexus 7 as it fills my android appetite just enough so I don't have to worry about my phone crapping out because I bricked it with a rom. But I will be selling the iPad 3 for 2 minis for the kids.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
32GB Nexus 7

I'm glad I just sold my release day Nexus 7 used for $180 to use toward either iPad mini or iPad 3 or "newest new iPad."

The Nexus 7 was a great little tablet, but at the end of the day, the software was simply lacking and unfortunately gathered dust. The screen was great, the hardware was great and overall responsive, but the OS left much to be desired. I loved the offline maps, that was a killer feature, but again, my phone already does this (both Garmin app and dare-I-say iOS Maps) and fits on my dash better anyways. The N7 would only route however when connected to the net first which is why I never really used it a lot anyhow. I missed all my old iPad 1 (sold before the 2 came out to help with finances at the time) games that I had purchased and really just wanted to use but couldn't. I liked how Android was cool with letting us download emulators a la PSX, NES, and SNES. But again, at the end of the day I simply did not use it near as much as I thought or as much as I did when I had the original iPad.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You should check your math. Doubling $199=/=$299.
OP, this is a very poor thread. You don't set the parameters that the mini must meet to "beat" the nexus 7. If you were asking about price, it's likely the nexus would win. Unfortunately, we're not 100% positive about that either, because we know nothing besides seeing a few pictures that purport to be the mini.
We can't make educated guesses without some information; doing so makes us no better than those whackjobs who believe in creationism/intelligent design.

How about we wait until after the announcement before speculating on whether the mini can "beat" the nexus 7?
If the mini comes anywhere close to the rumored $299, it's because of competition. People will pay an 'Apple tax' to a a point. But if this comes in priced double the competition, sales will suffer.

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I own both an iPad 3 and Nexus 7 and in short, I think YES, an iPad mini would most certainly beat the Nexus even if it doesn't match it on specs.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I bought a Nexus 7. The build quality was not on a par with Apple, the headphone socket was loose and didn't connect with the headphones correctly.

It was full of Google obviously which I hated (it was like every icon I clicked on was asking me to sign into my Google account and pay with my Google account etc...) but Jelly Bean was quick I must admit.

I do like the 7" form factor though so ended up selling it for a Galaxy Samsung Tab 2 7.0 which I seem to get on better with....but I will waste no time in getting the mini iPad when it becomes available and will not miss my Android things.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Of course the iPad Mini will beat the Google Nexus 7 sales-wise. Apple relies on uneducated and ill-informed consumers, of which they have plenty.

Self-declared superiority - can't have a thread on here without one.

Will it beat the N7? Who cares, if you like the N7 go with that, if you like the Mini go with that. Why must everything be reduced to a competition? If you enjoy an N7 and Apple wins, does that render your N7 useless all of a sudden? No, that's silly. These competitions are just plain silly.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I am the OP. I was not referring to market share, just the product itself. I've been a big Apple fan ever since I got my first iPod several years ago. I would love to see an iPad Mini that can "beat" the Nexus 7 on features, such that I would want to buy one. I think the discussion is fun. No need for the Apple sucks, Apple is superior, etc. stuff.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
You should check your math. Doubling $199=/=$299.
OP, this is a very poor thread. You don't set the parameters that the mini must meet to "beat" the nexus 7. If you were asking about price, it's likely the nexus would win. Unfortunately, we're not 100% positive about that either, because we know nothing besides seeing a few pictures that purport to be the mini.
We can't make educated guesses without some information; doing so makes us no better than those whackjobs who believe in creationism/intelligent design.

How about we wait until after the announcement before speculating on whether the mini can "beat" the nexus 7?

I probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. I meant if it came in double the price $400, it would suffer. The fact that it's rumored to be $299 is a direct result of competition from the Nexus.

Or to put it another way, if Apple was creating this market (like they did the original iPad), odds are the price would be $399. The downward pressure on price is to stay in contact with the competition.

If they don't stay within striking range from a price standpoint, sales will suffer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.