Can the ipad replace my laptop?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Swamp Donkey, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Swamp Donkey macrumors newbie

Hello all.

Im seriously considering buying an ipad 2.

My issue is, i work away alot and carry my macbook with me at all times. The only reason i use my laptop when im away is to view my vast collection of Movies and TV Series's which are stored on my external hard drive. Obviously i just plug the hard drive in and off i go.

I well aware that the ipad doesn't have a usb port and must be synced via my itunes.
    Weight is beginning to be an issue and i dream of the day i can just take my ipad with me and my external hard drive.

Is there any way this is even possible? What are the complications?

If i was to sync my ipad at home to my itunes obviously i would only be able to fill up the ipad so much with Movies and TV because of the size.

Could i then sync it to an itunes on another computer to refill the ipad? Or can i only sync it to one itunes?

Your input would be appreciated

thanks in advance

2. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

the iPad can only be synced to one computer at a time.

as for using the iPad as a laptop replacement, that would all depend on how you use your laptop. the iPad is a great content consumption device. as for content creation there are others on this forum that get by quite well with their iPad.

you will not be able to hook up your external hdd to the iPad unless you jailbreak and use the camera connection kit.

if you truly want to take along all your music/movies/tv shows/podcasts look into getting a Seagate GoFlex Satellite. it acts as a wifi hotspot and can stream all the content to the iPad. I have one and am highly impressed with it.

3. Swamp Donkey thread starter macrumors newbie

These Seagate Goflex's are awsome!! they are definitely the future!!

4. 4zuresky macrumors member

It wouldn't be able to FULLY replace a laptop. I've been using my iPad 2 at school to take notes and sometimes the auto correct annoys me and the touch screen is hard to type because I tend to always rest my thumb on the spacebar and i'd rather have real buttons for note taking. The iPad however is GREAT for pdf files and powerpoint. It's also great for watching videos and organizing your time! I'd recommend getting it because there are so many apps for so many things which can simplify your life a lot.