Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettryan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Hi, I'm wondering if it's at all possible to add the current date (i.e. Fri May 25...) to the top of the iPad's status bar?

I'm a forgetful bugger and never remember the date let alone the day, so when I'm in Mail and Safari this would be a great benefit for me.

I would like to do this without any hack that might void my Apple Care.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
+1. Untraceable after a full restore.

Just make sure when you restore you set it up as a new iPad. Don't restore from a backup.

Also if you do jailbreak it. Do so on a computer that has iTunes 9.1.1 or lower in order for Spirit to work. After it's jailbroken you can use iTunes 9.2 to sync all you stuff over to it.

The jailbreak app you need is called SBSettings. Make sure you read up on it before you mess with it.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Hi, I'm wondering if it's at all possible to add the current date (i.e. Fri May 25...) to the top of the iPad's status bar?

I'm a forgetful bugger and never remember the date let alone the day, so when I'm in Mail and Safari this would be a great benefit for me.

I would like to do this without any hack that might void my Apple Care.

This is my number 1 request on both the iPhone and iPad and it has fallen on Apple's deaf ears.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Oversight

Putting the time and no date is a big oversight. They are both just as important to me. I notice mine as the word iPad in that area off to te far left- as if i needed to know i was holding an iPad! I hope they bring back the date.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
This is one area where I prefer my Nexus 7 to the iPad. I have a home screen on my Nexus that is clean and has the stock Jelly Bean clock widget with a weather widget running along the bottom of the screen just over the dock. It is a nice asthetic when first unlocking the device, other than just seeing columns and rows of apps on my iPad's homescreen.

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX
This is one area where I prefer my Nexus 7 to the iPad. I have a home screen on my Nexus that is clean and has the stock Jelly Bean clock widget with a weather widget running along the bottom of the screen just over the dock. It is a nice asthetic when first unlocking the device, other than just seeing columns and rows of apps on my iPad's homescreen.

You can always just move your apps on your iPad/iPhone to the second screen, and leave only the calendar app in the top left corner. If you really want to :)

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
Found a solution

Which tells me there were better things to work on.

Well i suppose thats one perspective! I did delay buying an iPad for so long because of all the problems- wanted to be sure they worked through the major ones.
Actually DH pointed out a solution to this one last night. If you put a finger on the displayed time and swipe down, a tab like thing appears with the date on it!
And its available from every open app or window that i have been in so far.
HTH someone else.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well i suppose thats one perspective! I did delay buying an iPad for so long because of all the problems- wanted to be sure they worked through the major ones.
Actually DH pointed out a solution to this one last night. If you put a finger on the displayed time and swipe down, a tab like thing appears with the date on it!
And its available from every open app or window that i have been in so far.
HTH someone else.

Glad you are happy. My smartphone or $10 watch gives me the date fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.