Can the iPhone sync up with gmail contacts ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Darthdingo, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Thinking of possibly going the iPhone4 route, but the nice thing with the Google Android phones is the ability to save all your phone #'s and names you input into the phone with the Google gmail account automatically.

So lets say I buy a brand new Android phone, first thing I do when turning it on is enter my @gmail account, and poof everything loads up on the phone, very nice feature.

Is there a way for the iPhone4 to find all those contacts, and load them up on the phone ?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes. You can sync gmail with your iPhone. Just have to set it up that way in iTunes.

3. 3soteric macrumors member

3soteric

indeed it does - just select the correct options in iTunes

edit: Doh - beaten to it!

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not really talking about my e-mail contacts per-say, I have those on my @comcast account. I am asking about the phone#'s I saved to the Google system. So every time I input a new phone# in my Android phone, it asks save to sd card or save to Google, I always save to Google.

So my question is, how do I get those phone # contacts on my iPhone, not needing the e-mail stuff. Most the phone #'s I saved, I never entered an e-mail for them.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Just like I said in my above post. When your iPhone is connected to iTunes on your computer, you log into your gmail account (in iTunes). Then check the box "sync contacts with google". Every time you add a contact on your iPhone and sync to iTunes, it will then sync with your gmail account.

6. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

setup your gmail as exchange on iphone. everything syncs gmail then contacts calender mail

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

cool thanks

8. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Your opinions. Get the iPhone 4 or Nexus-S ? I just trashed my EVO 4G, need to pay full price for a new one, and I am on no contract with Sprint, so totally open to switching and get new phone and carrier.

Big beef with EVO was craptastic battery life, and some flaky apps. But Navigation was awesome.

9. appleuser1984 macrumors newbie

It really comes down to personal preference. go play with an iphone. see if you like iOS. You have already used android. they are 2 completely different phones

10. wacky4alanis macrumors 6502

You don't even need to set it up in iTunes if you use the exchange server. I never set it up in iTunes, and it works like a charm. It seemlessly syncs both my gmail contacts and my Google calendar without ever attaching my phone to my computer. It's just like mobileme, only free.

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I noticed that when I add a new contact on my iphone 4 it doesn't show up on my gmail account. Works fine if I add it on gmail but not the other way around. Gmail is setup via exchange. Am I missing something?

12. ljk7 macrumors newbie

Good question. Does anyone have an answer on this? Sure would make my life alot nicer if a could sync my iPhone 3G contacts with gmail. :)

13. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

i just added my gmail contacts recently and it worked just fine.

14. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Definitely it is a personal choice, just like Windows/Linux/Mac. Every person is different.

You have to check if you like ATT and the iOS itself. For the battery life, it is longer on the iPhone than on the Evo (http://reviews.cnet.com/htc-evo-4g-vs-iphone-4-comparison)

As for flaky apps, it is in the hands of app developers, there are flaky apps on every operating system.