Can the iPod on my iPhone go to 11?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Big Byte, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Big Byte macrumors regular

Hello,

I have an iPhone 3GS. All of the music on my iPhone is from my CD collection, which I ripped to my external hard drive using AIFF files. However, when I transferred my music to my iPhone, I converted the songs to 128 kbps AAC in order to save space; but, I noticed that, when I play music from my iPhone in my car, the songs are considerably less louder than the CD I burned them from (I did a comparison to hear the difference). In fact, I can turn the car stereo right up to maximum volume and the music from the iPhone is not unbearable (as it is when I play the CD at half volume in my car). To note, I am using Bluetooth to stream my music from my iPhone and not the aux or USB output.

My question is, how can I make the music on my iPhone louder? Is there a volume booster on the iPhone that I can use? How about if I transferred the AIFF files as is, will they be louder than the converted 128 kbps AAC files?

I'm not looking to go deaf, just to get into the music a little more while driving.

Thanks for your help.

2. bTaryag macrumors member

I had a similar problem.

I selected all songs in iTunes, and selected "get info".
    In the options tab, set the volume adjustment to +50 percent.

It will take a while for iTunes to adjust each track in your library.

Then sync your iPhone again.

Good luck!

3. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

An interesting read; I'll give some of the suggestions (i.e. an EQ app) a shot if bTaryag's suggestion doesn't help.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

4. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Generally speaking, there's going to be a completely different level of amplification from iPhone to a BT receiver and out your car stereo, than from the CD through the CD player. The fact both sound files originated from the same CD has little or nothing to do with it.

Do you have "Sound Check" turned on in iTunes and on your iPhone? If yes, try turning it off just on your iPhone, and see if that makes a difference.

If you are not using Sound Check, perhaps turning it on (in iTunes AND on your iPhone) will help for this particular CD.

Here's the thinking (for anyone not familiar with Sound Check): when you turn this on in iTunes, all your music files (including Podcasts) are scanned one time for their dynamic range in volume. Each file is given an amplification factor (positive or negative) so that all files have the same median volume.

Depending on the CD manufacturer, it seems to me, song files might have a higher or lower dynamic range as ripped. Perhaps the CD in question had a lower than average dynamic range, and therefore using Sound Check might boost its volume. Or, if you ARE using Sound Check already, perhaps the files from this CD were given a large negative amplification factor, so that turning off Sound Check just on your iPhone, will make these songs louder.

BTW, the suggestion to bump the volume adjustment to +50% is completely reasonable, but I think doing this is mutually exclusive with Sound Check, as this is the exact parameter that Sound Check is setting.

Regards,
    Tom
    p.s. I'm "pretty sure" about this info, and hope anyone will correct me if not.

5. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting, I tried bTaryag's suggestion to up the volume 50% - this works, but I'm getting a bit of distortion at the higher volumes; maybe I'll only up it about 25% or so.

But, I tried TJ61's suggestion and, after I tested some music with the increased volume, definitely noticed the volume drop as soon as I turned off Sound Check.

So, I think I'll reset all my songs to their original volume and see what kind of volume I get with Sound Check turned off.

I'll report on this later.

Thanks again, everyone.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

your title made me think of spinal tap. "look at the numbers this one goes to 11 and most amps go to 10. what does that mean "its one louder"".:D

7. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

"When you've got nowhere else to go... this one goes to eleven". I was hoping someone would catch the reference.

8. Almy macrumors 6502

9. Big Byte, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

In Dublin!

EDIT: Thanks for the help everyone. I turned Sound Check off (on both my iPhone and in iTunes) and boosted the master volume of all songs about 20%. I can now "get into the music" while driving. Take care.

10. bTaryag macrumors member

Glad it worked out for you!

11. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again!