can the ipod touch 2 gen support voice controls?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bigm978, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bigm978 macrumors member

Just curious if this is somthing apple could add to the 2nd gen in a software update, or if the hardware just doesnt support it.

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i think it can......since the 2G has speakers, all you need is the update for voice control, and the microphone headphones but who knows if apple will ever create an update for voice control for 2G in 3.2 or 3.3 iphone OS.

i hardly doubt it....btw:rolleyes:

3. celticpride678

What do the speakers have to do with it? You need a microphone and since the iPod touch 1G, 2G or 3G does not have one, no, the hardware is not there.

4. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

But if you have the headset with the microphones, then it will work on the 3G.

5. celticpride678

Right, but the OP never specified headphones or not. So, obviously the first impression is no. But I could be wrong:)

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

2 CELTICPRIDE: ^^^^^^^^^^what drawn2life said! lol

i don't need to explain myself.:D;)

7. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Well, I said something correct, whereas you said something about speakers, which aren't related to Voice Control. But I guess some hackers are trying to port it like they did with the iPhone 3G.

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

yeah...sorry i forgot to put the microphone headphones....my bad...:rolleyes::p

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The 2G iPod touch doesn't support Voice Control.

10. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

I don't think the 2nd gen supports it. Voice control was introduced with the 3GS, so wouldn't the voice control be hardware based?

The only keynote showing voice control on an iPod touch was this year's with the Late 2009 iPod touch.

11. P140897 macrumors member

Maybe 4.0 OS

12. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

as much as that is funny....i think it is possible within the nxt updates... since the technology already exist...:rolleyes::p:p

13. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I think VoiceControl is software dependent, not hardware dependent, I could be wrong. I reckon they just don't put VC on the 2nd gen because they want you to buy the 3rd gen.

Kind Regards

14. celticpride678

Why does not one understand? How does voice command work? You need to speak something and then have the device do it. How does the device now what you are speaking? Through a microphone. The only way it will happen is through using the microphone in the headphones of the 32GB or 64GB iPod touch 3rd Gen. Then a software update would be needed to support voice control.