Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
That...what?! Do you have some kind of inside connection I don't know about?! I ordered mine on December 3rd with a delivery date of January 8th. I must not be one of apples favorite customers. Ya know... if you don't end up getting that iPad pro, I know a guy that would just absolutely love a pencil! Hint hintttttttt

LOL. I was astonished, too. As I say, it's not from Apple direct, it's from a high street store in the UK. They have "more than 10" in stock.

The difficulty is finding an iPad Pro locally. (Apple's quoting 8th January for delivery.) I've found a 128GB without cellular, but nowhere near me (with online stock checking) has any with cellular. I'm wondering if I really need that aspect. John Lewis can deliver a 32GB by 23rd, but I think 32GB is too much of a risk.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
If you're only buying an IPP because your rMBP is slow then surely its much cheaper just to reinstall your rMBP.....or even pay someone to do it for you. Its a couple of hours work max.

I have a 2014 rMBP is a miles faster then any iPad I've used.

Reactions: Night Spring

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
My iPad Pro and Pencil arrived this morning.

Early thoughts . . .

Ghost31 is going to hate me but not only do I have an Apple Pencil (with no wait) but I don't like it. I'm not saying it's not technologically clever, I just think it's a gimmick (for me). It's going back.

My main question is now: Do I like the iPad Pro as a laptop replacement? I certainly prefer it to the iPad Air 2. I prefer Microsoft Word on iOS: much nicer. I'm impressed by the speed. The speakers are capable of being much loader than the Air 2, though I'm not blown away by the sound quality. The screen is great.

Oh, yeah. Unlike my MacBook, the WIFI actually works well, lol.

Hmm . . .

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I'm now wondering if I should get an iPad Pro with cellular capability and transfer the nano-sim from the Air 2, so that the Pro gets the best of both worlds. I could use the Pro with a Pencil for taking notes (meaning I get to keep an electronic copy of them, which could well be useful, and my students might prefer receiving an electronic copy of them). The Air 2 could then be used by the student during my lessons: I could load it up with the materials and apps I use, as well as giving them WIFI internet access, so that we both have a screen to look at and they can interact with it rather than just watching me.

The MacBook then becomes a storage device and gets used for Excel and InDesign.

This is the answer right here.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I may have solved my WIFI problem, thanks to stackexchange, where I found the following fix. So far, it seems to be working.

Which is awkward because not only I am currently the proud owner of a new iPad Pro, I've also ordered a new MacBook. Of course, I'm free to return either or both of them.

IMG_0082.jpg

kevroc

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I picked up a family members iPad air he just got for christmas and asked if this was the new mini 4. After using my IPP I could swear it was a mini and not an air. Crazy how quickly you get used to the pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.