Can the iWatch have a mechanical watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iCore24, Apr 23, 2014.

1. iCore24 macrumors 6502

iCore24

I was wondering if its possible to have a real mechanical smart watch with a lcd screen on top of it?

So when the screen is off, you could see the real mechanical watch, but when the screen is on, it covers the real watch and you see only the screen.

Could this be possible?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Could you have a mechanical watch with an LCD over it? Sure. That's physically possible to do, although it does place a number of limitations on the LCD such as no backlight.

Marketable, practical, and economically viable? Probably not so much. I wouldn't hold out any hope whatsoever of such a device becoming commercially available.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

4. iCore24 thread starter macrumors 6502

iCore24

They both could share the same battery.

I was thinking also if they could add a ink display instead of the mechanical?

There has to be a way to view the clock without the lcd. They could make it so it activates when your wrist is turned, but the other ideas would be so much cooler :cool:

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That's not a bad idea. An E-Ink display under an OLED display would leave a lot of space for battery. I am sure they already have it mostly figured out, and I can't wait to see what they come up with.

6. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

Not a bad idea and this would probably save alot of battery consumption.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That would actually look awesome. I would rather them get the battery right on the smartwatches first though :)

8. justinthesommer macrumors regular

justinthesommer

Battery is definitely a main sell point. I dont want to have to charge my watch every night. I will if I have to, but the longer it can go without charging the better!

9. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Ye, thats not going to happen! Would be very un apple to do something like that.

10. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Yeah, that'd be like saying the next iphone could have a physical keyboard

11. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Possible for sure, but why?

12. iCore24 thread starter macrumors 6502

iCore24

13. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Lol, I want to meme generate Bart writing on the chalkboard over & over: "I will not refer to the Apple Watch as iWatch".

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Look at the date of the thread. ;) It WAS iWatch then.:D

15. Tycho24 macrumors 68020

Tycho24

Haha, touche.
    I did NOT notice that! =P

16. Tanegashima macrumors 6502

Except that's nothing besides a 3D render of a concept...

Come at me when you have a real product.

17. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

This pretty much says it all for me...

18. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's certainly a possible area some watchmakers may explore in the future.

Not everyone (public / consumers) wants to feel they are wearing a computer with a screen on their wrists.

Like Books, and Papers, there will always be those who love a real mechanical watch. These things are all about your own personal taste.

I've no doubt that there could easily be a future market for what we might think of as "Real Watches" but have an overlay, that's invisible for the most part, but can come into view for things such as notifications or other information when needed.

This is something I feel many here are not yet actually "GETTING"

There does not have to be a Winning Watch.

Apple does not have to win anything, no one has to beat Apple.
    Not everyone will want what Apple is offering, There is a potential huge marketplace out there for hundreds of different watches offering different people what they need.

The trick is going to be, who can offer "Enough" for most people and spread this "Enough" across the widest range of devices.

They could be seen, in the long term as the winner of this type of product.

Apple could well be the technically most advanced, but this is not a games console or PC war, it's a watch with some notifications, and not everyone wants or needs the technically most advanced.

19. MaloCS, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015

MaloCS macrumors regular

THIS!!!!!!!

This is the direction I thought Apple would take it's watch. Instead, we get a concept that never really tried to push the boundaries of either the digital technology or established timepiece technology. What was delivered is essentially an iPod Nano (on a wrist strap) when the world was ready for something more grown up like what's shown in the video.

I believe that this concept is where the smart watch technology will turn. This concept gives the user a true jewelry timepiece that's paired with simple yet beneficial smart capabilities.

I will buy this!

20. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

I have to admit, the concept in the video is great. transparent LCD = best of both worlds.

21. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Again - the images and video on that site are fake. They have a disclaimer which states that the LCD isn't actually completely transparent.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I do wish all companies would stop making computer models of things they are going to sell.

I'd much rather see a rough, honest real photo of a device in prototype form, perhaps some aspects finished, others still to be done, than some dam CGI mockup of what it won't look as good as.

I would rather be happy the final thing is better than early photo's and we are all happy it looks so nice now it's done.

That for the final product to not look as good as the final real deal.

Things look too perfect most of the time.

I'd rather be amazed at the unveiling than let down it's not as I'd seen in CGI.

23. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Apple does not produce silly mash-ups like this.

24. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Hah!

AKA: "No, it isn't anywhere near as see-through as it looks in our mockups."

You're charged immediately. No refunds, for any reason.

They're at least 4 months beyond their initial shipping estimate, and only had the first serious prototypes in hand a couple weeks ago. (And the vast majority of the updates they've posted have been "HEY! LOOK AT HOW COOL WE ARE!" not actual technical progress updates.)

Sorry, but I have a feeling this is going to vanish in to thin air soon. I'm sure they had good intentions, but they don't seem to have been prepared to actually make the product.

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Apple doesn't do pie in the sky things that aren't realistic. I'm sure Apple has lots of crazy futuristic prototypes but if they're not ready for primetime Apple is not going announce them. Get back to me when this particular watch actually ships and gets good reviews.