Can the Mac Mini play Bioshock?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Saladinos, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Hey

I'm planning on buying a Mac Mini in the next couple of months. I'm not a big gamer, but I've been wanting to play Bioshock for a while. How does it play on the Mini?

And before anybody groans, I have searched around. You're welcome to do so, too. It's hard to find conclusively how well the Mini runs the game.

If you do have a Mini and have played Bioshock on it, please could you post some details about the experience/settings?

2. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

There is a good change the 9400m will work. You would do best to have 2GB of ram minimum though.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You meet the requirements but expect to play on low to medium settings.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It should play it at low settings or maybe with medium

5. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

That's what I've found after searching around, but is there anybody who actually owns one who can add anything to that?

Bioshock 2 uses the same engine, but may be a little more graphically intensive. I'd like to play that at 25fps minimum (that is, smooth but not necessarily ultra fast), so I'd like Bioshock 1 to play at 30fps or above. I'd also like it to run on Medium if possible.

Again, any owners who can add anything?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Bioshock at 30fps with medium settings on Mini = impossible. I'm not owner but I think it really isn't possible.

How about getting a Mini and PS3 or X360?

7. Saladinos thread starter macrumors 68000

Saladinos

I'm selling my PS3 to get a Mini. There's just so much more I can do with a computer than a games console.

The Mini seems pretty underpowered. I know it's not a graphics powerhouse, but that's no excuse for not being able to play a year-old game at 30fps (i.e. smoothly) on medium.

I might just make a hackintosh.

8. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Ha. Any system with an integrated graphics card is underpowered for games. Which is why for example I have an expensive gaming rig next to my 2 macs.

9. cardude280 macrumors member

i would suggest you go in to an apple store or best buy and try the demo on one or on something else with the 9400m graphics chip

because no one else seems to want to tell you anything useful

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Guess no one has it or plays it on the Mac Mini. Best thing to do is just get the demo and try it yourself. Looking around, this might not be the best thing but a guy using a 7900GTX (512MB) @ 1280x768 gets 30 FPS but it drops down to 20; settings are unknown. I don't know, with a mobile GPU, I don't think you'll get 30FPS, probably will achieve that at low resolution and settings.