Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Well speed and productivity are key. Saving 5 minutes or 20 minutes here and there add up. Before I order I’d like to know since loading in data and footage 8K 60 RED RAW.

My question is can the Mac Pro ingest dual data streams simultaneously via each of its two Thunderbolt 3 ports, this would be a game changer

Thank you.

MaxYuryev

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2015
What are you ingesting through? Aren’t the Red mini mags standard SSD’s? Around 500MB/s?

If so, even a single TB3 controller can handle up to 5000MB/s. If you have a single SSD card reader hooked that connects over USB-C it won’t be saturating even USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds. If you have a TB3 to 8x USB 3.1 adapter you have have 8 mini mag readers connected to one port and still not saturate it while transferring data at say 500MB/s. (if the SSD’s are that fast and the reader is not bottlenecking it)

The base model Mac Pro has 4 TB3 ports that share two controllers and each controller shares the same 5000MB/s bandwidth.

If you have a Vega II GPU then you have 8 TB3 ports and 4 controllers as far as I know.

erroneous

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
I think the data link on TB3 is only 32gbps wide (one x4 PCIe3 link). The remaining 8gbps can be used by display links if present.

Intel’s controllers then seem to further limit the TB3 pci data link to 22gbps for reasons that confuse me. The EGPU forum has some great explanatory posts if you’d like to check it out.

I believe this is why TB3 egpu data read/write tests top out about 2.8Gbyte/sec -> 22gbps.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Thank you all. Looking and asking due to 2020 Olympics will be available in 8K 60 and I plan on getting as much RAW network 8K 60 Footage as possible. Course in Media and News production has accepted my application to work/learn there for the Summer games. Going to be fun traveling with a Mac Pro.
Might be smarter to just get a MacBook Pro like everyone else.

Reactions: erroneous

OkiRun

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2019
Japan
Thank you all. Looking and asking due to 2020 Olympics will be available in 8K 60 and I plan on getting as much RAW network 8K 60 Footage as possible. Course in Media and News production has accepted my application to work/learn there for the Summer games. Going to be fun traveling with a Mac Pro.
Might be smarter to just get a MacBook Pro like everyone else.
Konichiwa Alex - san!
Congratulations! You will fall in love with Tokyo.
My daughter will be among those carrying the Olympic Torch through Okinawa.
Things are rapidly gearing up for the 2020 Games and excitement is growing exponentially!
Gum-bate!

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
Konichiwa Alex - san!
Congratulations! You will fall in love with Tokyo.
My daughter will be among those carrying the Olympic Torch through Okinawa.
Things are rapidly gearing up for the 2020 Games and excitement is growing exponentially!
Gum-bate!

Thanks you. Already looks amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.