Can the Mac Pro's DVD drive accept mini DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luba, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

It looks like it can, has a recessed inner area where I can drop the mini DVD in. Just making sure, don't want the laser to burn a hole if it can't.

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

AFAIK yes, because it uses a tray load.

The Laser is only 250 mW and is unlikely to burn through its own shielding, let alone anything else. Worst case is it won't work and you will have to use the emergency eject (paperclip method)

3. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

2 of my friends tried this on his MacPro and the other guy on his iMac. The mini DVD got stucked on both machines. I would not advise in trying this out on your MacPro. Better if you have an external DVD writer you can try it on that one.

4. Luba thread starter macrumors 65816

Luba

ok, going to play it safe and use an old windows notebook. don't need that kind of problem of stuck mini dvd!

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

I saw this link about mini dvds not being recongnized by Macs and you can check it out HERE.

6. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Umm.. OK
    Either they're morons are incompetent baboons... you choose.

For the record. The DVD writers Apple have installed in your MacPro are just rebranded OEM PC counterparts, there's nothing physically different with them internally or externally (with the exception of the label). Therefore, using mini DVD's via the tray won't cause them to be lost, or get stuck and before you think "i'll use a PC", the chances of them getting stuck on a MacPro is equal to that of a PC.

On the iMac however, it's a slot loader... common logic would suggest you don't put anything in there that doesn't appear like a full-size DVD. If you want or wish to use mini DVD's in a slot-loader, I'd advice you to use an adaptor, it's much safer! Better yet, avoid them completely.

7. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

FYI. A thick business card with some sticky tape or double sided tape would get the disk out much quicker!!