Can the Macbook Air be my "primary" computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by yanksrock100, Mar 5, 2011.

1. yanksrock100, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

Can it be the primary computer for a high school student?
    I will be doing some iMovie editing (HD video), iPhoto, and Microsoft office. I don't travel, and don't really need an optical drive. So would an iMac/MBP/MBA be best? (if I get the MBP, I would be willing to wait for a redesign)
    I have a late 2008 Macbook (aluminum), and it does these tasks fine.
    Will the MBA be same/better/worse?

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I don't edit video, so I can't speak to that, but the Air can definately handle iPhoto and Office - I'm primarily an Office user and email and surfing user, and the Air is my one and only computer, both for work and home. It's performance is really surprisingly good.

3. namtaB macrumors regular

I don't do video editing either. I've heard mixed things on whether the MBA is the best choice for heavy video editing. Everything else you've listed should be fine with the MBA.

4. Rolfmaomachizli macrumors member

The CPU WILL be letting you down on this, not the GPU, and also I recommend getting 4gb if you haven't already made your choice.

5. Hands Sandon macrumors 6502

If waiting a year or so for the newly redesigned MBP's is fine with you, that might well be your best bet longer term. In the meantime, the Air would manage no problem, possibly better than your 2008 because of the ssd.

6. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

with your needs I suggest you wait for the remodeled MBP

7. Rolfmaomachizli macrumors member

they just upgraded them, do not expect a remodel for a while.

8. rkheyfets macrumors regular

If 2008 Macbook (aluminum) works fine for you this will be an upgrade in every aspect thus you will be fine and pleasantly surprised.
    Especially with the SSD and go for 4gb of ram 13" 2.13ghz.

9. rkheyfets macrumors regular

What are you trying to say about the CPU your post is not clear.

10. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

College student here and a 11" mba is my primary machine. Works great!

11. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

12. ranjitb, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

ranjitb macrumors member

I have done a couple of videos on my MBA 13 2010 edition that has stock 2 GB RAM, I use iMovie and encode videos for youtube at 720p, you can certainly edit the videos on the MBA but I found that when you export the videos the MBA gets really hot and the fans kick in at high speed temp goes up around 80 - 84 C.

Short answer you can certainly use MBA 13" for videos but its surely stressing out the CPU with the same, personally I use my iMac for video editing but if I am outside my home/office I would not mind using the MBA, it takes a couple of minutes longer to export the video but it does the job.

13. fireballer55 macrumors member

Depends on how heavy you use it. Do you run everything at once?

14. 2IS macrumors 68030

There's nothing mixed about it. The MBA is NOT the best choice for heavy video editing. Where have you ever heard that it was the best choice?

15. akbc macrumors 6502

I had a Rev. B MBA with 2GB RAM, SSD and a C2D processor, and I did a frequent iMovie editing on it. It works, but don't expect too much from it.

16. namtaB macrumors regular

I have never heard that it was the best choice for heavy video editing. I was referring to people who have said that they have done heavy video editing on the MBA and I've also heard others say that its not good for heavy video editing.

17. firewood macrumors 604

I remember when people thought that a loaded PowerMac G5 was the greatest thing for movie editing. An MBA 11 Ultimate is faster.

18. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

although i have a dual core shuttle pc, i will class my MBA (when i get it) as my primary computer!
    my shuttle is used as basically a NAS, was after a nas that was compatible with time machine. but for xmas my boss got me the shuttle new!

but i only use the shuttle as a dumping ground for files (and secretly playing fm2011 lol) but my MBA will go everywhere with me, downstairs, upstairs, on holiday and even the toilet (admit it everyone does it:p )

19. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I used to until my mom just barged in one day and thought i was...you know. I was really just browsing engadget, but in any-case I don't bring my computer in the bathroom with me anymore when I have to stay in longer.

20. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

Neither does he, he uses iMovie. You'll be fine.

21. yanksrock100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

My main reason for wanting a MBA is because my aluminum macbook is the EXACT same design as the Macbook Pros. I dont want to have the same design. The macbook air is just a little bit more awesome looking.

22. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Gives a new meaning to technophile ;)

23. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Last years MBA could've been your primary computer.

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I used iMovie on my previous gen 11" MBA without too much issues at all. So the new one should do a damn better job :)

Heck I remember running final cut on my powerbook 12" back in the day.

Anyone saying the CPU in the new MBA's would not be capable of doing this - is misguided.

The MBA 2011 would out perform any macbook pro from 2009 and most of 2010 albeit except for dedicated graphics. There are plenty of users who are doing every task you want on older machines without issue, so the MBA will be grand.

25. bp1000 macrumors 65816

iMac all day long

Even the basic quad core iMac would be a lot faster.

The op said he doesn't need to be mobile, so why get a mbp? You can get an iMac and an Air for the price of a 15" upgraded screen mbp with ssd.

Let the iMac do the donkey work video processing and use the air for on the move, if he needs it.