Can the Macbook Pro get even thinner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wuush, Jun 20, 2014.

1. wuush macrumors member

I'm not an engineer, thats why i'm asking this question:

Can the next generation of Macbook Pros get even thinner?

I have doubts, because of how big the Ports are, by that i mean, look at the side of your MBPr:

Magsafe2
    Thunderbolt2
    USB3
    Headphone Jack
    HDMI

are all connections that are nearly too big (even) for the current generation.

They can replace many connectors with mini/micro etc. Versions but not USB (they could but then many devices would be useless) and the next Thunderbolt Gen. is still far away (at least i think so)

edit: just thinking: maybe if they introduce thunderbolt 3 u won't need a new magsafe connector (3) because you can charge with a thunderbolt cable. Does anyone know the specs of thunderbolt 3 yet? how much power does tb2 deliver?

2. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

USB is the thing holding back a thinner laptop, all the others are pretty small and could be flush against the sides...

3. BluAffiliate macrumors regular

Once graphine becomes simple to product it can technically be about few million microns thin (that is still pretty thin, don't let the scale fool you). I suspect we will have it by 2017.

4. simsaladimbamba

They could get rid of the curves and make it thinner.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The part of the MBP that holds the ports is only part of the thickness of the notebook:

[​IMG]

There's plenty of thickness that could theoretically be shaved off of the display and the bottom of the device in the future. They could also go for a tapered design like the Air.

I don't think that will happen in the near future though, I think Apple would rather keep the current sizes and let battery life and performance grow with new generations of hardware.

6. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

The next generation of Thunderbolt (3) and USB 3.1 Type C are both meant to be considerably smaller as well as reversible in USB's case, throw in mini-HDMI or mini-Displayport as well as a smaller Magsafe 3 then yes it could well be thinner. Personally I don't care if it get's any thinner as it's already extremely think, a bit lighter would be nice though.

7. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Should it? because it'll always be at the expense of features, performance, battery life, heat, durability, capacity, upgradability... etc.

If thickness is one's top priority, go with a MB Air...

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

don't think the problem is the ports, but rather keeping the battery life and performance while making it noticeable thinner

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

One thing is for sure (at least in my opinion), apple will be looking to shave more millimeters off the MBP and definitely make it thinner. I think we're approaching the point where you cannot make it thinner unless you remove the ports however.

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

The mechanics of the hinge will probably be as much of a limit as the ports, but the hinge relies on basic levers to hold the screen at any angle so while ports could gradually be replaced with thinner versions (especially if a detachable dock that attaches via a purpose-built wafer-thin connector is used), I can't see the hinge depth reducing much, hence the tapered MBA shell....

11. egy195 macrumors regular

12. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

Apple could go the way of Asus Transformer, detachable keyboard(ports) and go for a touchscreen on the next MacBook Pro... then Apple could then launch iOS application layer so you get the best of both worlds OS X+iOS :cool:

13. Freyqq macrumors 68040

USB 3.1 type C is even smaller and suppose to replace the regular Type A port used my the rMBP eventually. Probably not any time soon though.

14. alex0002 macrumors 6502

It could use a combination of Thunderbolt for high speed and Lightning for lower speeds. Soon there is no need for the headphone socket as that can be replaced by lightning too.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/03/lighting-cable-headphone-mfi/

Plus as mentioned earlier, it could be made thinner in the display and the curved underside area.

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

16. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Razers razer blade is thinner but with more powerful components, so apple could make the macbook pro thinner.

----------

So when I want to plug in my usb stick ill need to get a power hogging thunderbolt (pcie) to an entire hub? No thank you.

----------

Curves are good when you want to lift it of a flat area, like a table.

17. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

But the Blade only gets 4-5 hrs of non-gaming battery life

18. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Thats because they have other priorities meaning the battery cant be as big. They want to have better cooling for the 7xxm gtx gpu. Apple might even get rid of the dgpu in next release. Meanin more room for battery.

19. pragmatous macrumors 65816

You do know Apple has both models one with and one without. Apple will not be moving away from that model anytime ever.

20. jf1450 macrumors regular

Ummm, yeah, right, that's it. Microsoft tried that paradigm with Windoze 8 and created nothing but hate and discontent in the process. :eek: