Can the macbook pro limited Warranty be re-newed ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coco0612, Dec 16, 2012.

1. coco0612 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i don't know if this is a silly question or not.. but basically i am hesitating about buying a macbook pro through ebay, from a reputed seller.

The macbook pro is sealed, un-activated but the thing is, the seller has told me the limited 1 year warranty is about to expire (1 week) because it was activated the day it was bought (through mother retailers or such?).

My questions to you guys is: Could i see with apple if they could not re-new the 1 year warranty from the day i activate the computer, since it has still not been activated since it is still sealed in it's box? It is a little worrying to buy a new laptop with warranty about to expire !

Thank you for any future responses, will really appreciate the help !

Kind regards :D

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You can usually purchase AppleCare at any point during the product's original warranty, which will then extend that warranty for the duration of the AppleCare agreement. (An additional 2 years for laptops.)

However, given that there's only a week left, that's not much time for shipping/confirmation with Apple that the serial number listed on the box does indeed have that much time left on it.

The seller should be able to show you the serial number on the outside of the box, at which point you go to the Apple website (support section) and look up that serial number to check the validity of their warranty claims. But, it goes without saying ... buyer beware in this type of situation.

Unless you're going to get an awesome deal in which the deal itself would outweigh any supposed risk, you might be better off getting a refurbished unit from Apple.

3. trikky macrumors regular

Because it is being sold second hand, the original 12 month warranty will not be extended.

As has already been suggested, Applecare - if purchased and activated within the original 12 months - will extend your protection by two years, but you will have to jump on that pretty fast.

Unless you're getting a super spectacular deal, I wouldn't buy with any option requiring shipping unless it's next day, and I would also buy with my credit card to provide an added layer of protection. It should be noted that once again, because you're not buying from an authorised retailer, there won't be any warranty services offered by the credit card company, either.

If you're buying locally and meeting up with the seller, they should open the box in front of you and you should be able to test everything to make sure it works. In that case you could buy Applecare online.

Good luck!