iPad Pro Can the MacBook Pro replace your iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by the future, Nov 30, 2015.

1. the future macrumors 65816

Awesome turning of the tables:

http://www.speirs.org/blog/2015/11/30/can-the-macbook-pro-replace-your-ipad

Many more very good points made in that blog post.

P.S. I really like my iPad Pro :D

2. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Nice satirical look at tech blog journalism.

3. GrindedDown macrumors 6502a

While it is satirical and there are some stretches, most of the points are incredibly valid. In fact (or opinion rather), this article is so spot on for me that the only reason it is satirical is because it's the only article I've seen looking at things from this perspective.

One other point of concern for me that wasn't mentioned is durability. While the iPad pro certainly isn't water proof, having a glass of water sitting next to the iPad doesn't give me a heart attack the same way it does with the MacBook with open ports, trackpad, speaker grill, vents and all. I also happen to prefer editing photos, posting on CL or eBay, shopping (with touchID) and much more on the iPad. I'm sure I'll love drawing way more too once I receive the iPad pro (I draw and design regularly).

There are only a few things that I cannot readily do on the iPad that I need my MacBook for, like programming an arduino board.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I especially liked the part about the MacBook being limited to landscape orientation. When I got my first notebook computer, I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find a way to rotate the display to portrait, and to find a way to hold the notebook comfortably in that orientation. :p

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I certainly agree with many of the points; I have seen the potential of the iPP as a laptop replacement from the very beginning, and have been using it as such. Noting that it's satirical doesn't take away from that.

6. hanser macrumors regular

On one hand its satire on tech journalism, on the other hand I think he really means it and is convinced of the superiority of ipad Pro for his use case. And that is perfectly fine.

7. cardfan macrumors 65816

Most tech bloggers have no professional experience or skills so it's hard to take them seriously. I especially like the ones who think their needs are somehow more than "others" who will somehow love the product even if's not for them.

Can it replace my laptop? Well..I..umm...write product reviews. So my needs are simple at best. Of course it won't replace my laptop. But it could for you..lol

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think Tim Cook absolutely blew it when he claimed that the iPad pro could replace your laptop. People ended up comparing the iPad to a laptop and fixating on the things an iPad could not do, rather than focusing on the merits of a larger and more powerful iPad.

This will go down as one of the biggest marketing blunders in Apple's history, imo. Even Steve Jobs did not dare to make such a claim.

9. cardfan macrumors 65816

That was pretty dumb. But I think the apple kb cover was as well. Leave that to third parties (apple's version sucks anyways). They invited these type of reviews with that and in doing so, only legitimatized the Surface Pro.

Market the pencil. Market how great a bigger ipad is. Stay away from "it could replace your laptop" talk. The whole point of the ipad was that it could fit somewhere between an iphone and Mac and be the best device for certain things.

Apple has declared touching a laptop or desktop screen gets tiring and is a horrible experience. Welp, that's the defacto method of using an ipad pro with the kb attached. Why promote this then? It's a bad idea that needed a "no" as Jobs is famous for saying to bad ideas.

10. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

I don't use my MacBook Pro daily but when I use it the stuff I do I certainly couldn't do on a tablet. It's why the air and MacBook are both needed for me

11. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree. Why would he say that? He could have chosen his words more carefully as to not diss the laptops while still promoting the iPP. And, I disagree completely regrading the replacement comment. The iPP can NOTbreplace a laptop. Not completely for anyone except for the lightest of users.

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I think that by and large, most people would be okay with the iPad not replacing their PC or Mac. Simply work on improving the iPad so I can get more things done on it. The PC will still be there for the heavy lifting or prolonged usage or extensive gaming.

I believe the iPad will eventually good enough as a PC replacement. Problem is, that moment is not here yet. For a company who prides itself on timing, Tim sure demonstrated a very poor grasp of the concept of bidding one's time.

13. cardfan macrumors 65816

But you open up the can of worms with the "lightest of users." Many think they number in the millions. It's the vast market of users.

So what you or I think doesn't really matter. The ones who do matter to apple would never be in a forum like this. I guess Apple sits around and thinks what would a 6 yr old with no prior computer experience want next? File system? LOL No way. Pencil? You betcha. More colors? Certainly. Bigger icons! Definitely.

It's this simplicity I enjoy though as long as they throw some things our way occasionally and don't cripple things we have currently.

14. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The lack of trackpad or mouse support is the one thing that's really stopping me being able to use an iPP as an alternative to my MacBook: I use RDP extensively to connect to remote Windows machines (I work remotely 90% of the time) and without a mouse it would be a nightmare

15. hanser macrumors regular

We do not need another thread about, if iPadPro can replace the Macbook. This thread is explicitly about if a Macbook can replace iPadPro. And there are good reasons for many people to ask this question and good arguments that the answer is no.

16. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

the only answer is - it's all down to the individual.

17. haruhiko, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Very cool. Some people just came into this post and responded in the exact way that the satirical blog post laughed at.

18. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

But if some people don't agree with my perspective how will I be able to prove to everyone that I am right!?

19. the future thread starter macrumors 65816

This! :D

Also the "Tim Cook blew it" comments are hilarious. It was one (1) offhand remark in an interview that the nerds and tech bloggers went crazy about in their little echo chamber. In the real world, it means absolutely nothing for (or against) iPad Pro sales.

There are many, many people for whom an iPad is ideal for a number of use cases; all the Pro does is add a few use cases more (while being even better for some of the older use cases and slightly worse for other old use cases). I know I use mine way more than my iMac, but it doesn't replace it. Nor does it need to.

20. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think for some people it can. Not specifically the iPad pro but any iPad. Some people only use their computers to go on the internet, read and send emails, watch Netflix, do on-line shopping and banking, play games, check Facebook. For those people any iPad/tablet is good enough and they don't really need a computer.

For me however I still need by Macbook Air.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, but you are in the wrong thread. This thread is asking if the MacBook can replace the iPad, and your post is discussing if the iPad can replace the MacBook.

22. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

Does the iPad Pro have a UBB port? I have thought for years all iPads need a USB port maybe two of them.
    As long as people need real usable keyboards, and real quick storage devices, the Mac Laptops will be the right device for most users doing real work.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Again, wrong thread.

The question is, what can iPads do that MacBooks can't do? And why do people feel the need to come into a thread discussing this topic to point out things that iPads can't do? There are already tons of other thread discussing that topic.

24. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

This was my way of posting that the iPad Pro just can't do many things.
    Sorry if i over road your concept of this thread.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I just think "what the iPad can't do" has been discussed to death. We already know there are many things the iPad can't do. I mean, do you use an iPad or another tablet? If so, why?