Can the MBP display be shut off when connected to an external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erummel, May 1, 2008.

1. erummel macrumors member

erummel

I recently purchased a new 24" Samsung 245B display. I have it connected to my MBP via DVI and it's absolutely gorgeous. The matte screen of the B (v. the glossy display of the BW) is perfect, and after fiddling around with the calibration the colors are perfect.

What I can't figure out how to do is turn off the MBP display when the external is connected. It's not that it's a huge problem. I have my MBP on a Griffin Elevator and when watching video or there's lots of screen motion, I find I'm distracted by the mirroring. I don't like the extended desktop, especially since the dock only appears on the MBP. I'd prefer to just turn it off. I have Vista installed via BootCamp and I was able to turn off the MBP display by selecting the Samsung as the primary display device. Is there any way to do this in OS X? I've looked for a setting, but am at a loss. Maybe a piece of software that I need?

Thanks for any help.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

shut the MBP and sleep it while connected to the external monitor and then wake it up. the external screen should turn on and become your primary display. this is clamshell mode. to do this you need to plug in the magsafe and have an external keyboard and mouse. if you have a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse make sure "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is ticked in Advanced in Bluetooth preferences.

MBPs are designed to be used in clamshell mode and not over heat as the vents are at the back. but some heat is dissipated through the keyboard so you will get cooler temps while the lid is open. you can open the lid and the MBPs screen will be turned off. to turn on the MBPs screen and use extended desktop mode click "Detect Displays" in Display preferences.

you mentioned you dont like using extended desktop mode as the dock is on the MBPs display. to move it to the external display and make it the primary monitor select the Arrangement tab in Display Preferences and drag the menu bar (white bar) to the bigger display.

3. dezeeb macrumors newbie

dezeeb

How about turning the brightness all the way down? That's what I usually do when I'm in a similar situation...

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Why not just close the lid? Or are you not using an external keyboard? Alternatively, I believe that when you use the monitor as an extended desktop, you can choose which screen the dock is on.

5. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

+1. Should work out this way, just make sure you do have an external keyboard/mouse connected before closing the lid.

6. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

Proper procedure:

1. Open Lid
    2. Plug DVI + keyboard + mouse in
    3. Close Lid
    4. Press any key on keyboard, and it should wake up w/ just the ext. screen on