Can the New Aluminum MB video edit well?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheDance511, Jan 31, 2009.

1. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

I want to buy one, but I am not sure if it's abilities are limited... I know if I go with the MBP then I can for sure but if I can just do what I need with the regular MB I wanna do that. I wanna be able to video edit movies that I make... Generally 1-2 hours in length.... I don't really need to be able to do special effects or whatever... What specs would be good for this? Also, I have never owned a Mac before.. What software should I buy with it in order to do this? Thanks...

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'd say do a bit of due dilligence before venturing onto a new platform specifically for editing video. That said, any computer can edit video. The only difference between the MB and the MBP is how it would get there (firewire only on MBP), how fast it would go (if your program is gpu accelerated) etc etc.

You'll be editing feature length films, but no special effects..hm...so I assume you won't be using something like Adobe's Premiere or Apples Final Cut Pro. iMovie should work good for you, and will work on the macbook, but go to Apples website and investigate iMovie before making your selection. Infact

www.adobe.com ; premiere, after effects, premiere elements
    www.apple.com ; imovie, final cut pro
    www.avid.com ; whatever avid does.
    www.sony.com ; vegas for windows only

3. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I mean the most advanced effects I would want to use would be maybe like a ripple or something for a dream scene or like just a person standing talking in just a white screen, or like echo or really deep voices.. But that is it..

4. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I saw a video a little while ago, I'll try and search around for a link, of a professional editor putting a 2.0 unibody through the paces. He was quite pleasantly surprised at how capable it was. He even was able to edit some Red camera footage with it, albeit that went a little slowly.

He concluded that the new MB's were more than able to serve as an in-the-field editing machine for amateur film makers and even pro's. Not a replacement for pro's, not even a MBP can replace a Mac Pro, but the MB in his mind is perfect for amateurs and pro's who want a portable unit in the field.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah iMovie should be able to do that. Honestly, most of the "professionals" who purchase the MBP are too afraid to push take it to the extreme and use it to its fullest potential, doing silly things that really don't involve gaming, photo editing, music production or anything that would utilize the extra hardware. :cool:

But yes, the MacBook would suite you well. You may enjoy the MBP's larger screen and enhanced gaming capabilities if you are into that sort of thing.

6. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys... Helpful... I'll go with the MB.. Buying soon.... I can't wait... I know I can't leave my Apple store with just ONE thing though...:rolleyes:

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I wouldn't want to edit video on a MB for extended periods just because of the screen size. I've done some minor editing (~5 minute pieces) on my old MacBook, and it chugged along well enough, but the screen size is really a limiting factor.

That said, if you max out the RAM the MacBook will edit video just fine. Put Final Cut Express on there and you can edit pretty well anything, save graphics-intensive work.

8. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

They will make u get
    "just one more thing"

bwahh haha.
    /slap knee
    :eek:

9. TheDance511 thread starter macrumors 6502

Money really isn't a huge issue here.. Just I don't wanna buy something that I won't use to it's full capacity.... Sometimes I think I'll get an iMac to do it... I just don't know.... I just wanna something that will do it for SURE...

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

You may want to go with the 2.4ghz alu macbook, Throw in an extra 2 gigs of ram, and purchase a 7200rpm 320GB HDD. that would be plenty for waht your trying to do, as long as the movies are in SD and not HD. Im sure the macbook will be perfectly fine for you, and in the long run if you ever needed more screen space you could always buy an additional monitor. Likewise with The Hard Drive