Can the new iPhone 3G support Mobile TV?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhonedHome, Jun 11, 2008.

1. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

In other words does it have the required hardware for AT&T Mobile TV already onboard? Just curious.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I believe Mobile TV requires an external antenna.

3. kleo macrumors regular

Mobile TV comes in over the 3G broadband connection built into the new iPhone. BUT mobile TV would require some sort of cooperation with TV broadcasters to allow such a service to be available on the iPhone. This would go against apples current model of downloading content from iTunes and then watching it later on your computer or iPhone. Any mobile TV product would segment this market position and hurt iTunes sales.

4. iPhonedHome thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that and the headphone jack could be used as a plug in antenna.

My question is if the phone has the necessary processor/chip inside to make it happen.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Don't see why not. It's a software service and the iPhone is probably more powerful than any other phone in AT&T's lineup.

6. squabdinner macrumors newbie

Kleo - use your brain. Oh, and maybe take a look at how mobile tv really works

Gee Kleo, what if you looked at how true 'mobile-tv' actually works, instead of just parroting how you've been told it works. Or did you think the carriers don't have a stake in the mis-information you don't even know you're repeating? Mobile tv will be coming to a cell phone near you, via chip. (ATSC's flavor of DVB-H anyone?). If you need further info, which apparently you do, check out anything about DVB-H in europe since it's working now, or, if you like something closer to home - get info about the trials they put on in Las Vegas at this year's (2008) NAB. Flame-on! :eek:

7. red41 macrumors regular

Who cares? Get a slingbox and be done with it.

8. volsfan macrumors regular

volsfan

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

AT&T supports two kinds of mobile digital TV:

1) MediaFlo, which requires a receiver with Qualcomm chip(s) and usually an antenna. The shows are broadcast from towers around the country. Only a few ATT (and Verizon) phones have the necessary hardware.

2) Mobile TV (which I believe is just branded MobiTV ?). No special hardware required. This is sent over an internet connection, be it WiFi or 3G. You need a compatible RTSP player, which I'm not sure the iPhone has at this time. (Correct me if wrong.)

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

MediaFLO (Forward Link Only) is a one to many - It's one way - think like a radio station. Thus, it solves the problem of network usage - if lots of people want to watch mediaFLO Olympic coverage, that's fine - it doesn't use up any more data sending it to extra users, unlike a 1 to 1 service. In this regard, it's better even than peer 2 peer, which still require data to be sent across the network, just not from one main source.

Broadcast data can include multiple real=time audio and video streams, along with separate non-realtime video and audio "clips".

AT&T are using Qualcomm's MediaFLO mobile TV network, with Verizon already saying they'd use it.

Sprint Nextel also offers a video service, and has tested MediaFLO. Since 3G couldn't handle high volumes of live TV, mediaFLO could be ideal.
    An alternative is DVB-H (digital video broadcasting Handheld), which is seen in more European areas, and is afaik going to be in the N96.

Would it go into a future iPhone model? Well, if it isn't spun off, I could see it happening. The service can use high power transmitters, so you don't need one on every street - they can cover up to ~30 square km coverage area.

Whether it would fit with future iPhone innards is another matter. It would be great if BBC, etc could use this - they numbers would rocket. Or ITV - they need the advertising money!

Not sure if they're planning on bumping the QVGA resolution (320 x 240) though. Till then, hammering wifi and using the net I guess.
    XGames, Wimbledon, Olympics, Comedy Central...

We'll see I guess.