Can the new Mac Mini runs Final Cut Stuidio 3 and Motion 3 ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by RyanKhoo, Mar 7, 2009.

1. RyanKhoo macrumors newbie

Is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB of integrated video RAM sufficient to do video editing using Final Cut Studio as well a Motion 3 without getting hang ? The system requirement in Final Cut says it won't work on Intel Integrated graphics card.

But this integrated card in the Mac Mine is not Intel, it is NVidia integrated card, so will it work ? I hope to use this new Mac Mini to learn Final Cut, Motion 3 and iMovie, so the last thing I want is for it to hang on me !!

Can someone shed some light to this ?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There isn't a Final Cut Studio 3 yet...:confused:

I doubt if the Mac Mini would run it well when it does exist, though.

3. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

Final Cut Studio won't work well with an integrated GPU..

4. RyanKhoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry typo error. I meant Final Cut Studio 2 and Motion 3

5. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yes, it'll work. And for most operations it will work well while for some others the mini may be a little too, well, mini. ;)

But if you're editing SD video the mini with that video accelerator should be no problem at all! Smooth even. :)

6. RyanKhoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Tesselator for your confirmation.

I want to do something like this in Motion 3:
    http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/motion/

Will working in Motion 3 also be smooth ?

Thanks

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Final Cut Studio "runs", but don't expect stellar performance.

8. Mariusz1977 macrumors member

Mariusz1977

9. RyanKhoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but JeffDV50 doesn't seem to login anymore to answer further questions.

I was wondering if anyone here who had actually tried doing Motion 3 on the Mac Mini can share with us his/her experience.

Thanks

10. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Just so you know, some of the above info by other posters is not quite correct.

Of the FCP suite, Color and Motion are the GPU-intensive ones. Those are the ones you need to worry about in terms of the 9400M. Unfortunately I don't know how well they run on the 9400M.

Final Cut is mostly CPU-intensive, so rendering times and effects are going to be determined by your CPU and other factors (HD speed, etc.) I don't think a 2.0 C2D is that bad at all, if you expectations are reasonable.

You probably know this, but just wanted to add. I think a lot will depend on how much you expect to run the different apps. If you have reasonable expectations and are on a tight budget anyway, then I suspect the new Mini will be pretty good. The 9400M does seem to represent a substantial improvement in other tasks (primarily gaming benchmarks.)